Degrees and Programs

The Linguistics Department offers a Bachelor of Arts,minors, a Graduate Certificate in TESOL, and an MA in Linguistics with the option of a TESOL specialization. Our MA degrees can be also be completed concurrently with Peace Corps service, under the Masters International program. We also offer a Certificate of Special Study in TESL for undergraduates.

Certificate of Special Study in TESL

The certificate of Special Study in Teaching English as a Second Language is intended for local and international Bachelors students who wish to specialize in English as a Second Language methods.

Required courses (12 units): LING 100, LING 141, LING 171, LING 155

Advising Note: We strongly recommend that international students also take LING 6 or LING 110W prior to or concurrently with LING 141.

General Education Linguistics Credit

The following courses will meet General Education requirements: CHIN 1A/B, HMONG 1B, JAPN 1A/B, LING 10 (Area C); LING 30 (Area E); LING 115, 130 (Integration IC); LING 147 (Multicultural/International).