Teaching Associate Program
• A graduate student fully admitted to the graduate program. (Conditional status is OK for the first semester.)
• A continuing graduate student must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
• All incomplete grades (RP or I) must be completed by the end of the subsequent semester. If an incomplete is found in the audit session, Grad Studies will ask for a memo from your instructor, to the Graduate Studies office, that states you are making satisfactory progress and are expected to complete this work before the end of this semester.
• Returning TAs: You must have met Classified Standing with your degree program. Please check with your Graduate Advisor for more information.
• You must complete the English 270: Writing Pedagogy course within the first year of your appointment and pass it with at least a B grade.
• All TAs must be enrolled in at least two courses, or 6-units, of coursework that count toward your degree. Coursework counting toward your degree are (or will be) the classes listed on the Advancement to Candidacy form. This means you must enroll, stay enrolled, and complete two courses (or 6-units) that count toward your degree. The exception is if you are working on your thesis, then you only need to be enrolled in thesis units and the English 282 course.
• All TAs also must enroll in a weekly two-hour teaching practicum, English 282.
• If you are enrolling in just thesis units or thesis continuation units, please verify with your Supervisor if you need to enroll in the teaching practicum, English 282.