How to Apply
Do you want to become an English Teacher in California?
First, demonstrate subject matter competence (SMC) through either
- the English CSET (state test) OR
- a California state-approved subject matter program (like the SMC requirements of Fresno State's BA in English Education).
Second, take and pass the CBEST (state test).
Third, apply to the Fresno State post-baccalaureate Single-Subject Teaching Credential Program:
- Sign up for and attend an orientation at the Kremen School of Education.
- Complete the Credential Program Application. Be sure to type your answers to the 10 questions on page 2 and make two copies.
- Obtain medical and fingerprinting (security) clearance.
- Apply to the University for post-baccalaureate graduate study.
- Schedule an interview and advising appointment with Dr. Godfrey, Credential Coordinator in English. The interview will take about 40 minutes.
- Submit application materials to Kremen, Room 100.
NOTE: You may apply to take initial courses in the credential program in your final year of undergraduate study while you are still completing subject matter competency requirements. However, you will not be fully admitted nor able to start student teaching until you have demonstrated subject matter competency.
Post-Baccalaureate Single Subject Credential Program Eligibility:
- Bachelor's degree (B.A. or B.S.) with an overall GPA of 2.67
- Provide evidence of English Language Arts Subject Matter Competency, either through a California state-approved program of coursework such as Fresno State's major in English Education OR by passing the state CSET exam in English.
- Complete EHD 50: Introduction to Teaching OR pre-program field experience waiver (45 hours of classroom observation, 30 in regular English classroom at secondary level).
- Complete CI 149: Curriculum, Instruction, and Technology.
- Pass the CBEST exam.
- Complete all parts of the application process (above).