APPLYING TO START FALL 2017?
Fall 2017 Application DEADLINE: 5pm, April 17
To schedule an application interview with Dr. Mandaville, read the information below, then email for an appointment (email@example.com).
For general questions, please see Kremen School of Education application information and contact the advising team, KSEHD, Room 100: Ivy Fizpatrick (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Jessica Choy (email@example.com).
Single Subject Teaching Credential in English
Do you want to teach middle or high school English in California?
Steps to apply to the Single Subject Credential Program in English:
- Demonstrate subject matter competence (SMC) through either the English CSET or an approved subject matter program such as Fresno State's BA in English Education.
- Demonstrate basic skills through the CBEST (state test) or another college level exam.
- Apply to the Fresno State post-baccalaureate Single-Subject Teaching Credential Program:
- Complete the online orientation.
- Complete the Credential Program Application, Interview Form, Advising Form, Medical Clearance Form, and 155A: Initial Student Teaching Application. Be sure to type your answers to the questions on the Interview Form.
- Obtain proof of medical (TB Test) and fingerprinting (Certificate of Clearance) clearances.
- Apply to the University for post-baccalaureate graduate study.
- Schedule an interview and advising appointment with Dr. Alison Mandaville (firstname.lastname@example.org), Credential Coordinator and Subject Advisor in English. Bring a paper copy of your completed application, including typed answers to questions on interview form. The interview will take 40 minutes. Interviews are scheduled only during fall and spring terms.
- Submit all application materials to KSEHD, Room 100 and schedule a second interview with the Single Subject Program Coordinator at the KSEHD Building, Room 250 or call 559.278.0240.
NOTE: You may apply to the credential program in your final year of undergraduate study while completing subject matter competency requirements. However, you will not be fully admitted nor able to start student teaching until you have demonstrated subject matter competency.
Post-Baccalaureate Single Subject Credential Program Eligibility:
- Bachelor's degree (B.A. or B.S.) with a minimum overall GPA of 2.67 (minimum 3.00 preferred).
- Demonstrate English Subject Matter Competency, either through a California state-approved program such as Fresno State's major in English Education OR by passing the state CSET exam in English.
- Complete EHD 50: Introduction to Teaching OR pre-program field experience waiver.
- Complete CI 149: Curriculum, Instruction, and Technology.
- Demonstrate basic skills by passing the CBEST exam OR through qualifying scores on other college level exams (SAT, ACT, AP, EAP, EPT/ELM). For qualifying scores on these tests see Options for Meeting the Basic Skills Requirement.
- Complete all parts of the application process.