Fresno State is a visionary university. Always has been — from its birth in 1911 with 150 students to its 1950 groundbreaking at a new campus location on Cedar and Shaw avenues. Fresno State was outgrowing its space across town — on land that is now Fresno City College — and the school’s leaders had the foresight to facilitate a move to the University’s present location.
When most donors establish a scholarship they consider it philanthropy. But when entrepreneur Claude Laval III established a new scholarship fund for Fresno State students, he considered it a sound investment.
It was 103 degrees outside — and not much cooler inside the stuffy gymnasium — as Fresno State wrapped up its second women’s basketball practice with new coach Jaime White.
Marvin R. Baxter’s journey from a small farm in Fowler to the state’s highest judicial office ran diectly through Fresno State.