An Honorarium is a fee paid in appreciation for a service provided by an individual who is invited to make a presentation on the campus on a specific topic identified by the appointing authority. The individual customarily is invited to make the presentation because the transmittal of such knowledge or information meets a defined campus need.
An Honoraria is not paid for:
- Consulting Services
- Service Agreements
- Student Assistants
- Services of Personnel (must be hired through normal recruitment or temporary help)
Honoraria can be paid up to $4,999 on a direct pay form. The following paperwork must be submitted in advance to Accounts Payable:
- Direct Pay Form (Informed Filler)
- Original Invoice --acknowledged by the funding department (Informed Filler)
- Payee Data Record (204 Form)
If the amount to be paid or reimbursed to the individual or company is $5,000 or more:
- The requesting department, via the appropriate administrators, must submit a Requisition and a Payee Data Record (204 Form) to the appropriate Vice President designee no less than 12 working days prior to the presentation.
- Procurement will prepare a Standard Agreement (contract) and will forward the necessary copies to the individual for signature.
- Upon receiving the signed agreement, Procurement will forward approved copies of the agreement to the individual, requesting department, and Accounts Payable.
- The requesting department must submit two (2) copies of the invoice to Accounts Payable, one with an original signature.
- Accounts Payable will issue a check within fifteen (15) working days of receipt of invoice. If a check is desired on the day of the presentation and all the above time frames and procedures have been adhered to, Accounts Payable will prepare a check for pick-up.
A fee cannot be paid to any current employee, permanent, part-time, full-time or temporary.
An Honorarium, per IRS regulations, is reportable as income by the University.