President's Leadership Academy
Call for Proposals for facilitators
The Leadership Development task force is seeking a diverse group of exceptional facilitators to lead discussions on a broad range of leadership topics. We are confident much of this talent currently serves on campus as faculty, staff or administration and we are calling for proposals from anyone interested in facilitating one or more of the in-person sessions. Workshops will be held monthly from January 2018 through December 2018. (Click here for the calendar at a glance.)
Click HERE to express interest in serving as a facilitator.
The deadline to submit proposals is November 15.
The application period for the inaugural cohort is now closed.
We received 75 applications for the first cohort of the President’s Leadership Academy and were excited about the campus community’s enthusiastic interest in leadership development.
All applicants will be notified via campus mail the week of November 1, 2017.
Applications Available: September 8, 2017
Application Deadline: October 2, 2017
Cohort Selected: October 23, 2017
Cohort Announced: Week of November 1, 2017
(letters have been sent to all applicants via campus mail)
Leadership Academy begins: December 5, 2017
Leadership Academy graduation, celebration and reflections: December, 2018
Eligibility: Faculty, Staff and Administrators
- Willingness to stretch and grow
- Positioned to assume increasing leadership responsibility in existing or future role
- Respectful of our diverse community
- Willing and able to attend all sessions and participate fully
- Deliberately diverse blend of academic and administrative leaders from across the university
- Support from Dean/VP/Manager/Department Chair
- Minimum one (1) year at Fresno State
Purpose: To engage Fresno State leaders and emerging leaders in an interactive and reflective development experience that supports strategic priority #2.
- To strengthen the culture of leadership at Fresno State.
- To create a community of leaders who will help advance Fresno. State’s mission to boldly educate and empower students for success.
- To develop bench strength/a pipeline of leaders.
- To enhance the capacity and capabilities of leaders by introducing leadership concepts, competencies and tools.
- Leadership exists throughout the university at all levels in all areas.
- Our focus is on everyday leadership (leading from where you are)
- how we influence and empower others
- Leadership Development is a continuum (embed into culture)
- Mission and values focused
- Diversity and inclusion
- Boldness - participants given creative space to be bold
- Supporting a culture of service and appreciation
- Strong Relational component - create and support trust, confidentiality and safety among cohort
Effective leaders at Fresno State:
- Lead with authenticity, passion, energy, and engagement.
- Build and nurture great teams.
- Create and support an open and inclusive environment.
- Serve with fearless courage, unwavering integrity, and relentless focus on supporting the Greater Good.
Learning will be designed to occur on multiple levels:
Full cohort – up to 25 participants
- Monthly ½ day – full day cohort gatherings over 12 months
(Friday mornings 8 – noon; breakfast served)
- Deliberately diverse representation from across divisions/schools/colleges
- Emphasis on learning experiences that build on and are different from standard manager skill-building workshops
- Competencies aligned with performance metrics
- Programming will blend a practical understanding of:
- university as a system (organizational structure/ field visits)
- management skillset and leadership behaviors
- personal development (resume, interviewing, developing a personal brand)
- Case study discussions
- Discussions of complex and challenging landscape in higher education
- Multi-rater feedback, pre and post
- Blend of in person and online learning
- Development of individualized goals based on assessment results
- A la carte skill building workshops available in person and online to support identified areas of development
- Emphasis on reflection and accountability with participants applying principles with reflection/reporting back on learnings
- Participants asked to demonstrate leadership skills learned
(in-dept project using The Leadership Challenge Workbook)
- Ongoing communication with participant’s manager
- Post program follow up and ongoing learning and networking for program alumni
- Flexible and adaptable to meet diverse and unique needs of cohort
- Participants will receive certificate at end of program
Assessment and Evaluation:
- Pre-and post multi-rater feedback
- Qualtrics surveys of program components conducted monthly
- Program evaluation completed annually on program effectiveness and results achieved
- Workplace Quality Survey
In January 2016 a Task force task force of academic and administrative leaders was convened to assess current leadership programming at Fresno State and recommend the conceptual, strategic and operational design for a new program. Their work has resulted in the President's Leadership Academy. The inaugural cohort will begin in late 2017.
For more information please contact:
Director Organizational Excellence
Interim Associate Vice President for Faculty Affairs