A New Addition to Your Family Doesn’t Subtract the Support You Receive as a Fresno State Student
Under Title IX, sex discrimination – including discrimination on the basis of a student’s pregnancy, childbirth, false pregnancy, termination of pregnancy, or recovery from any of these – is prohibited in Fresno State educational programs and activities.
- The University does not exclude or limit the participation of pregnant students or students who have been pregnant in its programs on either of those bases.
- No rule may be established in a Fresno State sponsored activity or program related to a student’s parental, family, or marital status that treats students differently based on their sex.
- Just like any student with a temporary medical condition that may require special services, assistance is available to a pregnant student through Services for Students with Disabilities, located in the Henry Madden Library in Room 1202.
- The University excuses a student’s absences due to pregnancy and related events for as long as the student’s doctor deems the absences medically necessary. When the student returns, she is regarded with the same status as before her medical leave began and given the opportunity to make up work or exams missed while on leave.
- New mothers are afforded reasonable break periods during Fresno State programs or activities; including classes, to express milk or nurse as needed without penalty. Private areas for expression can be found online at: http://fresnostate.edu/adminserv/hr/title-ix/nursing.html