Employees may take a leave of absence to care for a child either before or after birth or placement with the employee for adoption or foster care and thus are entitled to Paid Maternity / Paternity / Adoption Leave according to what their bargaining unit specifies. Additionally, an employee out on pregnancy disability may qualify for Nonindustrial Disability Insurance.
How to Initiate a Parental Leave
Contact Human Resources located in the Joyal Administration Building - Rm 211, at (559) 278-2032 and make an appointment. If you are unable to come to the office for an appointment, please call 278-2032 and speak to your Leave Coordinator for more information. The required forms and doctor’s verification are listed below.
Requirements for Leave
To participate, an employee must complete the following:
- Family and Medical Leave Notice and Request Form (if you are eligible; please see Your Rights Under FMLA for more information).
- Certification of Health Care Provider
- Request for Leave of Absence Form
- Doctor’s Verifications:
- Doctor’s Verification for disability due to pregnancy (Maternity Leave Only).
- Doctor’s Verification to release you to work (Maternity Leaves only. Usually given at the doctor’s appointment six to eight weeks post partum. Family Medical Leave will begin after the doctor releases you.)
- For Paternity, a doctor’s verification from the mother’s doctor.
- For Adoption/Foster Care, a copy of the adoption forms.
- Nonindustrial Disability Insurance (NDI). You may obtain a claim form from your Leave Coordinator.