CSU provides Long Term Disability (LTD) insurance at no cost to you if you are an eligible employee. LTD insurance is designed to pay a monthly benefit to you in the event you cannot work for an extended period of time because of a covered illness or injury. This LTD benefit replaces a portion of your income, helping you to meet your financial commitments in a time of need.
If your LTD claim is approved by The Standard, LTD benefits become payable at the end of the 180 day benefit waiting period. No benefits are payable during the benefit waiting period. For answers to commonly asked questions, exclusions, limitations and reductions, please review the Long Term Disability Insurance Brochure and Certificate.
Some features of your LTD coverage include:
- Return to Work Incentive/Child Care Expense Benefit
- Reasonable Accommodation Expense Benefit
- Survivors Benefit
- Right to Convert
Eligible MPP, executive and SETC employees are covered under a long-term disability (LTD) plan through Standard Insurance Company, which continues the income for employees who qualify while they are disabled.
- Benefits are payable after the employee has been continuously disabled for the entire waiting period (180 days).
- For the first 24 months, to qualify for benefits the employee must be disabled from performing the material duties of his or her occupation.
- After 24 months, benefits are payable only if the employee is disabled from performing the material duties of any occupation for which he or she is reasonably fitted by education, training and experience.
- MPP and executive employees - pays 66 2/3 percent of an employee's pre-disability earnings (reduced by other income the employee is eligible to receive because of disability, and subject to a maximum benefit of $10,000 per month).
- The LTD program was eliminated for SETC employees effective July 31, 2005 per HR/Benefits 2005-17.
- The CSU pays the entire premium for this insurance.
The Standard Life Insurance Company (The Standard) is the CSU's insurance carrier for employer-paid long-term disability insurance.
To be eligible for CSU-paid long-term disability insurance:
- An employee must be in a Management (MPP), Faculty (R03) (excluding Faculty Early Retirement participants (FERP)), Academic Support (R04), Physician (R01), or an Executive (M98) position.
- If employed in a R03 position, employee must be appointed at least half-time (equivalent to 7.5 weighted teaching units for Academic Year appointments) for more than six (6) months.
- If employed in a R03 Coach or Lecturer Academic Year position, employee must be appointed for at least six (6) weighted teaching units for at least one semester or two or more consecutive quarter terms.
- The qualifying appointment may be either permanent or temporary.
Employees excluded from benefits include:
- Intermittent employees
- Faculty employed solely to teach summer session, extension, or intersession
- Any employee paid from funds not controlled by the California State University or from revolving or similar funds from which a regular California State University premium payment cannot be made
- A full time member of the armed forces of any country. (Some exceptions apply. Please refer to HR2001-25, Supplement #1 for specific exceptions.)
For more information regarding Long Term Disability
Please contact us at:
Los Angeles Employee Benefits Sales and Service Office
15260 Ventura Blvd
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403