Family Status Change
Family Status Change Permitting Events Special Enrollment
When certain life events or circumstances occur, you are entitled to make special enrollment updates within 60 days of the event. An example of a family status change could be adding or deleting due to birth, adoption, marriage, domestic partnership, divorce, or death. As well as gaining or losing an alternate non-CSU plan. For additional information on family member eligibility, go to the CalPERS website
Qualifying life events include:
- Enrollment of a new dependent as a result of marriage or domestic partnership registration
- Birth or adoption of a child, or placement of a child for adoption
- A court order that requires you to provide coverage for a spouse, domestic partner, or minor child
- Divorce or death of a dependent (Mandatory deletion)
- The cancellation of coverage under another CalPERS health plan or private plan. In this instance, you will need to request enrollment within 60 days of the date your other coverage ends and provide us with proof that it has ended.
If the deadline is missed, employees may enroll in health insurance with a 90-day waiting period under the Health Care Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA), or during the annual open enrollment period with coverage effective the following January 1.
Monthly plan premium costs are shared by the CSU and the employee. Employee contribution rates vary depending on the plan selected and the number of dependents enrolled. It is essential to evaluate each plan against your personal and family needs prior to making a selection.
Qualifying Event Changes Outside of Open Enrollment
Mandatory Family Member Additions: While this coverage is mandatory, it is not automatic and a Benefits Worksheet must be completed to add a family member. This form must be returned via MoveIT to the Human Resources Benefits team. The effective date of all permissive transactions is the first of the month following the date the enrollment form is received in the Human Services. Birth Certificates, Social Security Numbers and additional documentation, if applicable, are required for enrollment.
- Newborn or adopted child of the employee - The coverage starts at birth, or when the employee receives physical custody of the adopted child.
Mandatory Family Member Deletions: The Benefits Worksheet must be completed to delete a family member. This form must be returned via MoveIT to the Human Resources Benefits team. The effective date of all permissive transactions is the first of the month following the date the enrollment form is received in the Human Services. The effective date of all mandatory transactions is the first of the month following the event.
- Death of a dependent
- Enrolled child attains age 26
- Family member enrolled as an employee, or as a dependent of another CalPERS plan (No Dual Enrollment-PEMHCA enrollee)
- Divorce of spouse
Permissive Family Member Additions: The Benefits Worksheet must be completed to add a family member. This form must be returned via MoveIT to the Human Resources Benefits team. The effective date of all permissive transactions is the first of the month following the date the enrollment form is received in the Human Services.
Marriage or Domestic Partnership Enrollment of a new spouse, domestic partner and/or stepchild, within 60 days following the event. A copy of the marriage certificate or Declaration of Domestic Partnership and social security number.
Enrolling step child(ren) will require social security number(s) and birth certificate(s).
Permissive Family Member Deletions: The Benefits Worksheet must be completed to delete a family member and returned (hand delivered is preferred) to the Human Resources Office, Joyal Administration Building, Room 211. The effective date of all permissive transactions is the first of the month following the date the enrollment form is received in the employing office.
- Deletion of ALL family members, without explaining the reason
- Deletion of spouse who moves out of the household (upon cancellation, can only re-enroll by HIPAA or Open Enrollment)
- Child has attained age 18
- Family member enters military service
- Family member obtains other group coverage
- Custody changes for child under age 18
If you gain alternate non-CSU health and/or a non-CSU/state sponsored dental coverage, you can cancel your medical or medical/dental and participate in the FlexCash plan to obtain cash in lieu of CSU coverage. The Benefits Worksheet form must be completed along with appropriate documents/information required and returned via MoveIT to the Human Resources Benefits team. The FlexCash form will also need to be completed. This form is a DocuSign power form with instructions. Once the form has been completed. DocuSign will forward the form to Human Resources Benefits.
FlexCash is taxable income.
- Waive Medical and Dental $140
- Waive Medical Only $128
- Waive Dental Only $12
What you should consider before enrolling into the FlexCash Program:
- Medical and dental needs are adequately met through other non-CSU insurance Coverage
- Cash payment stipends are considered taxable income
- Enrollment in the program waives medical and/or dental continuation rights to a surviving spouse in the event of an employee s death
- Enrollment in the program waives the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) continuation rights in the event the employee is terminated or otherwise loses eligibility for benefits
- Employees retiring while enrolled in the FlexCash Program will have 30 days following retirement to enroll in any PERS medical and or CSU dental plan. Please contact Human Resources regarding enrollment prior to retirement
- Employees who lose their other non-CSU coverage while on the FlexCash Plan will have the opportunity to enroll in a medical and/or dental plan with proof of loss of coverage within 60 days of loss of coverage
Flexible Spending Plans
Family Status changes may allow an employee to enroll, cancel or change the deduction amounts in the Health Care Reimbursement Account and the Dependent Care Reimbursement Account.
For additional information, please contact the Human Resources Office (559) 278-2032 located in the Joyal Administration Building, Room 211.