All employees who operate forklifts must have a valid forklift certification, and be authorized to drive on state business. Certification can be accomplished by completing each of the following requirements:
Delivered electronically through SkillPort (SumTotal) as a series of training modules. Contact Michael Burgess at 278-5365 for assistance with this process.
Demonstrations and hands on instruction may be provided by a competent person, this is offered the EHS office an reviews the following:
- Operator controls for the specific type of forklift being operated at the normal work site.
- Daily or more frequent operators pre-operational checklist.
- Operators manual review.
- Safe load handling and site specific requirements.
Skills evaluation of the operator's ability to operate the forklift safely with equipment at the work site and subsequent certification if found to be a capable operator.
- The operator has been observed to operate the vehicle in an unsafe manner;
- The operator has been involved in an accident or near-miss incident;
- The operator has received an evaluation that reveals that the operator is not operating the truck safely;
- The operator is assigned to drive a different type of truck;
- A condition in the workplace changes in a manner that could affect safe operation of the truck.
An evaluation of each forklift driver's performance shall be conducted at least once every three years.
If you have any questions, please contact Michael Burgess at 278-5365