Injury & Illness Prevention
The IIPP is the "umbrella" safety program that details how the organization will protect employees from hazards in the workplace. Cal-OSHA requires that it be “established, implemented and maintained” (California Code of Regulations, Title 8, Section 3203). It covers eight basic components:
- Responsibility. Who is responsible for safety in the organization?
- Compliance. How will compliance with safety requirements be achieved?
- Communication. How will employees receive information they need to keep safe?
- Hazard Assessment. How will safety hazards be recognized and assessed?
- Accident/Exposure investigation. Who will conduct the investigation and how will and when should it be done?
- Hazard Correction. What can be done to eliminate or minimize the hazards?
- Training and Instruction.
- Record keeping.