Driving on State Business
California State University, Fresno is self-insured only for auto liability insurance. This insurance is through the State agency called the Office of Risk and Insurance Management (ORIM) through the State Motor Vehicle Liability Self-Insurance Program (VELSIP).
There are specific requirements for driving on state business. The most significant are:
- Must be a state employee or volunteer signed up through Human Resources (Job Class 0050)
- Must have a valid California or other state driver's license of appropriate class for the type of vehicle being driven
- Must participate in the DMV driving record pull notice program, and maintain a good driving record
- Must have had Defensive Driving training within the last four years
Some other requirements and procedures regarding driving on state business are stated in the CSU, Fresno Manual of Administrative Policies and Procedures, Section G-14, and the CSU Use of University and Private Vehicles Guidebook.
The Driving Authorization process is now online for state employees! (Faculty, Staff, paid Student Assistants)
There are two separate parts to be completed online:
- Driving Authorization Process
- Defensive Driving Training (required every four years)
You will need to gather the following items with you before starting:
Note: You will need to fully complete this short process once started; there is no save option.
- Driver's license
- Personal car insurance info and license plate number(s). (If you currently or plan to use personal vehicles for state business travel - applicable even for short trips across campus to attend meetings.)
Accessing the Driving Authorization process:
Note: Detailed instructions with diagrams are provided under Resources.
- Log into the My Fresno State portal.
- Once you are signed in, you will find a link on the left panel of your screen that says "Forms Portfolio."
- Click on this link and then select the "Electronic Forms" option on the following screen. This link will take you to a list of all the available online forms.
- Scroll to the section labeled University, and find the Driving Authorization form. (If you do not see it, then click on "Customize Selection"; then click on "Check All" and click on "Save".)
- Click on Driving Authorization Process. (If you get a window stating "The pop up is blocked...", click on "Allow Once".)
- This will load the Driving Authorization form that you need to fill out. The first page will have some of your information auto populated already.
If you are a Volunteer or non-state employee, go directly to the instructions under Resources on the Defensive Driving page.
If you need to enroll in Defensive Driving training click on the highlighted portion.