Driving on State Business

Authorization to Drive on State Business Process

In order to drive on state business you must have met all of the program requirements listed at the bottom of this page.  Meeting these requirements can be in part accomplished by utilizing the correct method below depending upon the applicants employment status with the campus:

Faculty, Staff, and paid Student Assistants

  • Driving Authorization Process For State Employees Instruction Sheet
    Open and follow these detailed instructions above if you are paid faculty, staff, a paid "student assistant."
    Note: Some research students, particularly those paid through research grants or stipends, are not eligible for this process please call our office for clarification at 559 278 7422.

Volunteers, Foundation, and Non-State Employees

You will need to gather the following items with you before starting:

  • Driver's license
  • Personal car insurance info and license plate number(s). (If you currently or plan to use personal vehicles for state business travel - applicable even for short trips across campus to attend meetings.)

Note: You will need to fully complete this short process once started; there is no save option.

Program Requirements

California State University, Fresno is self-insured only for auto liability insurance. This insurance is through the State agency called the Office of Risk and Insurance Management (ORIM) through the State Motor Vehicle Liability Self-Insurance Program (VELSIP).

There are specific requirements for driving on state business. The most significant are:

  • Must be a state employee or volunteer signed up through Human Resources (Job Class 0050)
  • Must have a valid California or other state driver's license of appropriate class for the type of vehicle being driven
  • Must participate in the DMV driving record pull notice program, and maintain a good driving record
  • Must have had Defensive Driving training within the last four years

Some other requirements and procedures regarding driving on state business are stated in the CSU, Fresno Manual of Administrative Policies and Procedures, Section G-14, and the CSU Use of University and Private Vehicles Guidebook.