All employees who operate forklifts must have a valid forklift certification, and be authorized to drive on state business.
Certification can be accomplished by completing each of the following requirements:
Formal instruction: lecture/discussion or
interactive computer training.
- Ag Operations/Farm employees: Contact Ken Heupel, Coordinator, University Fleet Services and Farm Machinery/Motor Vehicle Inspector. Phone 278-8869
- All other employees: Contact Michael Burgess, EHS Specialist, EHS RMS. Phone 278-5365.
- Practical training: demonstrations and exercises performed by the trainee according to the Operational Skills Checkout List and Forklift Preoperational Inspection.
- Evaluation of the operator's performance with equipment at the workplace by supervisor or trainer.
Refresher training is required by Cal-OSHA when:
- The operator has been observed to operate the vehicle in an unsafe manner;
- The operator has been involved in an accident or near-miss incident;
- The operator has received an evaluation that reveals that the operator is not operating the truck safely;
- The operator is assigned to drive a different type of truck;
- or -
- A condition in the workplace changes in a manner that could affect safe operation of the truck.
An evaluation of each forklift driver's performance shall be conducted at least once every three years.
If you have any questions, please contact Michael Burgess at 278-5365