Welcome to the University Driving Page!
Authorization to Drive on University Business
Let me guess... someone/somewhere has told you to drive for some event related to campus and that you have to take Defensive Driving training. Well, you've come to the right place!
Let's determine if what you are doing requires that you be authorized to drive on University Business.
What qualifies as University Business?
- IRA-funded (Instructionally Related Activities) events.
- Duties/tasks performed as part of your university employment.
- Driving a golf cart/powered cart/gator on campus.
First, we have to determine your campus classification. Please click on the option which best defines you:
Still not sure? Contact our office for clarification at 559 278-7422 or email@example.com.
California State University, Fresno is self-insured only for auto liability insurance. This insurance is through the State agency called the Office of Risk and Insurance Management (ORIM) through the State Motor Vehicle Liability Self-Insurance Program (VELSIP).
There are specific requirements for driving on state business. The most significant are:
- Must be a state employee or volunteer signed up through Human Resources (Job Class 0050)
- Must have a valid California or other state driver's license of appropriate class for the type of vehicle being driven
- Must participate in the DMV driving record pull notice program, and maintain a good driving record
- Must have had Defensive Driving training within the last four years
Other requirements and procedures regarding driving on state business are stated in the Policy on Driving on University Business, Section G-14, and the CSU Use of University and Private Vehicles Guidebook.