Skip to contentSkip to navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I report a hazard?
If the hazard puts employees at imminent danger, call Campus Police @ 911 from a campus phone or (559) 278-8400 from a cell phone. If not, please inform your supervisor. You may also contact the Office of Environmental Health & Safety and Risk Management (EHS/RM) directly by calling (559) 278-7422. Hazards can also be reported online. This form is available in pdf form so that it can be printed out and mailed or faxed. Anonymous reporting is permitted but not encouraged because we may need to ask questions to help with the hazard investigation. Additionally, we would not have a way to report our investigation findings back to you. Please see our Report a Hazard section.

Whom do I call if I smell an unusual or persistent odor at work?
Odors can be caused by many sources. If you smell an odor that is particularly strong or persistent, or that is causing you to have an adverse physical reaction, notify your supervisor. Then call EHS/RM at (559) 278-7422 for assistance. You may want to leave the area until the odor concern has been addressed. For more information, please see the Indoor Air page.

What do I do if an inspector from a regulatory agency (includes OSHA, EPA, Air Pollution Control District) arrives at my workplace?
The Office of Environmental Health & Safety and Risk Management (EHS/RM) is the liaison between the campus and regulatory agencies for environmental, health and safety issues. Normally, regulatory agencies contact EHS/RM before inspecting a site on campus. EHS/RM then contacts the affected departments about the upcoming inspection.

If an inspector arrives at your workplace unaccompanied by a EHS/RM staff member, do not turn them away. Please contact EHS/RM at (559) 278-7422. A EHS/RM staff member must be present during an inspection.

Back to TopBack to Top icon

What are the insurance requirements for...?

How do I get my hazardous material picked up?
You may submit a request pick up form. This can be completed on-line.

Questions should be referred to Jaime Horio, the EH&S Specialist responsible for coordinating hazardous waste disposal on campus. You can reach Jaime at (559) 278-8787.

Where should we keep a Safety Data Sheet (SDS) file?
According to Cal-OSHA Hazard Communication regulations, the SDS file should be kept in an accessible place for all employees who use chemicals. This is required so that employees are able to review the information before using the chemical, and quickly access the safety information in the event of an emergency. It is preferable to provide copies of SDSs in each area where chemicals are in use. For more information, please see the Safety Data Sheet page, and our Hazard Communication page.

Which chemicals require a Safety Data Sheet (SDS)?
SDSs must be kept on file and readily accessible for all chemicals used in a manner that could expose employees via inhalation, ingestion, skin absorption (including eyes) or injection. This includes products that are commonly used in the home or office, such as cleaning or office supplies (such as White-Out). If an exposure incident occurs, emergency responders and/or the attending physician will need a copy of the SDS to assist with determining proper treatment. Please see the Safety Data Sheet page.

Why do I have to do a Chemical Inventory?
The Chemical Inventory is a regulatory requirement designed to give emergency responders and the community information about the hazards in a community.

For more information about this topic, please visit our Chemical Inventory page.

Who can I Contact for Further Information regarding Workers Compensation?
If you have any questions concerning Workers Compensation benefits, forms or general information, please contact the Workers Compensation Manager, Tracey Garza. Her phone number is (559) 278-2125.

Back to TopBack to Top icon