Skip to contentSkip to navigation

University Travel Updates

Mileage Rate Change

Effective January 1, 2018, the California State University Standard Mileage Rate for business travel occurring on or after January 1, 2018, will increase from 53.5 cents per mile to 54.5 cents per mile. Miles driven for moving purposes will be reimbursed at 18 cents per mile, increased from 17 cents per mile.

Taxable Moving Expenses

Effective 1/1/18, all moving expense reimbursements will be taxed as additional income to the employee, and will be subject to all withholding taxes. Reimbursement for any tax liabilities ("grossing up") incurred by the employee as the result of receiving reimbursement for relocation expenses is prohibited.

Concur Expense Management

Effective February 1, 2017, all state employee travel reimbursement will be processed through the Concur Expense Management System. Paper expense claims will no longer be accepted for State Employees after February 1, 2017. A tutorial for Concur is posted here. 

Travel Ban

Effective January 1, 2017, the State of California is prohibiting travel to certain states and will be restricted from requiring employees to travel to those states. This change is a result of Assembly Bill 1887. The current list of restricted states includes Alabama, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma South Dakota, Tennessee and Texas.  This list is subject to change at any time, so check the CA State Attorney General's website found here: before making out of state travel arrangements.

Non-refundable trip arrangements made prior to January 1, 2017, to the current list of restricted states (Alabama, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee and Texas), are permissible. A detailed written description of when the travel arrangements were booked and justification for such travel must be submitted with the expense claim. Trips booked on or after January 1, 2017, to these states must comply with the exceptions included in AB 1887.  Any trip booked on or after January 1, 2017 and before a restricted state is listed by the CA State Attorney General must be cancelled if none of the exceptions are met, and non-refundable arrangements must be forfeited. 

Exceptions to the new travel prohibitions and the complete list of restricted states will be maintained on the CA State Attorney General's website found here: Unless one of the exceptions listed is met and documented on the expense claim, the University will not pay for any expenses when traveling to a restricted state.

The following links serve as additional resources: 

ICSUAM Policy on Travel 

CSU Travel Restrictions Memo

Frequently Asked Questions on AB 1887 - CSU

Frequently Asked Questions on AB 1887 - US Attorney General

Assembly Bill 1887 State Discrimination on Travel











Name Email Phone
Marie Cuningham (559) 278-2911
Virginia Nevarez (559) 278-2877
CALTravelStore Click for contacts, or call (877) 454-8785