Federal Perkins Student Loans
Is a low-interest loan available for undergraduate and graduate students with exceptional financial need.
Eligibility is determined by the Financial Aid office who can answer questions about your eligibility, and advise you on how to apply. Information is also at the Federal Student Aid website.
Who is the Lender?
Your university is the lender. The loan is made with government funds plus a share contributed by Fresno State. The loan is repaid to Fresno State.
How Much can I Borrow?
Depending on your eligibility:
- Up to $5,500 for each year of undergraduate study
- Up to $8,000 for each year of graduate or professional study
Certain types of employment and service after graduation can make individuals eligible for loan forgiveness, cancellation, or discharge.
The following is a partial list of employment types and service:
- Full-time teacher in a designated education service agency serving low-income students
- Full-time teacher in designated subjects with teacher shortage, or special education teacher
- Full-time staff member in education for Head Start program, prekindergarten or child care program
- Full-time law enforcement or corrections officer
- Full-time Nurse or Medical Technician
- Service in the U.S. armed forces
- Vista or Peace Corps volunteer
- Full-time firefighter in service with a local, State, or Federal fire department or fire district
- Click here for a complete list of careers and to learn more about loan forgiveness.
Who should I contact if I have questions regarding cancellation benefits?
Melissa Waite 278-4168, Counselor in Perkins & Nursing Loan Counseling Services will be happy to answer your questions.