Federal Perkins Student Loan

The Federal Perkins Loan Program has been discontinued by the Federal Government. No further Perkins Loans can be offered. If you have a current active Perkins Loan see below for ways we may assist you in managing your loan. 

Who is the Lender?

Fresno State is the lender. The loan is made with government funds plus a share contributed by Fresno State. The loan is repaid to Fresno State.

Cancellation Benefits

Certain types of employment and service after graduation can make individuals eligible for loan forgiveness, cancellation, or discharge. 

The following is a partial list of employment types and service:

  • Full-time teacher in a designated education service agency serving low-income students
  • Full-time teacher in designated subjects with teacher shortage, or special education teacher
  • Full-time staff member in education for Head Start program, prekindergarten or child care program
  • Full-time law enforcement or corrections officer
  • Full-time Nurse or Medical Technician
  • Service in the U.S. armed forces
  • Vista or Peace Corps volunteer
  • Full-time firefighter in service with a local, State, or Federal fire department or fire district
  • Click here for a complete list of careers and to learn more about loan forgiveness.


Contact Melissa Waite 278-4168, Counselor in Perkins & Nursing Loan Counseling Services will be happy to answer your questions about cancellation benefits.