Prospective Mathematics and Science Teachers
Fresno State's Mathematics Department offers advising for prospective middle school mathematics teachers and high school mathematics teachers. The Science and Mathematics Education Center (SMEC, located in Science 101) provides advising for prospective middle and high school science teachers.
The Mathematics and Science Teacher Initiative (MSTI, located in Kremen 242) offers supplemental advising, particularly for students or teachers wishing to add a mathematics or science credential to an existing credential or for Single Subject mathematics or science credential students needing to demonstrate subject matter competency via the CSET.
The Student Services Office in the Kremen School of Education and Human Development (Room 100) is an important stop for prospective middle and high school mathematics and science teachers (Single Subject credential requirements).
In addition, the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing has produced a number of useful documents for California teachers and educators regarding mathematics and science teaching authorizations/credentials:
- Adding Teaching or Subject Areas to Existing Credentials
- Overview of Authorizations to Teach Mathematics
- Single Subject Credential in Foundational-Level General Science (FLGS)
- Single Subject Credential in Foundational-Level Mathematics (FLM)
- Subject Matter Authorizations
- Subject Matter Competence of K-12 Mathematics Teachers
- Related: CSET-Mathematics Test Guide and CSET-Science Test Guide
Students who are interested in becoming an elementary school teacher will often major
in Liberal Studies, a course of study that includes a 12-unit concentration area.
Students select one of a number of possible concentrations, including mathematics,
science, or STEM. For information about these concentration areas, please call the
Education Student Services Center (559-278-0300) or the MSTI office (559-278-1082). MSTI is currently offering scholarships for students interested in the STEM concentration.
To learn more about this relatively new concentration area and the available stipends,
Funds and Fun for Prospective K-12 Mathematics and Science Teachers
- MSTI Professional Learning Scholarships
- Natural Sciences Club for Future Math/Science Teachers; Collegian Article
- Pre-Service Teacher Institute at NASA Ames