Entrepreneur In Residence
Each year, a prominent entrepreneur is selected as "The Entrepreneur in Residence" wherein he or she supervises the students in the Hatchery, lectures in classes, presents to students, assists in conducting seminars and meets with entrepreneurs and leaders of the Central Valley
NELSON SEBRA is our current Entrepreneur in Residence and is now serving his fourth consecutive year in this position.
Nelson was born in Florida and resided there until graduating from high school. He attended college in Georgia and, upon graduating he entered the U.S. Air Force and graduated from Air Force Pilot training. During a 23-year career in the Air Force and Air National Guard, he flew several models of fighter aircraft, accumulating approximately 4,500 hours as a fighter pilot, instructor pilot, flight examiner and test pilot.
Nelson holds a Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration from Valdosta State University in Georgia and a Master's Degree in Public Administration from the University of San Francisco. He is a graduate of Air War College, Air Command and Staff, Air Force Pilot Training as well as numerous other military schools and courses. He is the recipient of the Meritorious Service Medal, Distinguished Service Medal, Air Force Commendation Medal, and numerous other awards.
Nelson has been involved in several community organizations including:
- Rotary- 1990 to present. Positions held: District Membership Chair, Assistant Governor, Area Rep, Past President, current member of Clovis Rotary, Multiple Paul Harris Fellow.
- Leadership Fresno- Member Class 1, Alumni Association Board member 1989-1993 (past president), Steering Committee Member 1994-2010, Steering Committee Chair Class 18 and Class 25.
- Clovis Junior Soccer League- 1980 to 1996. Positions held: President, Vice-President, Commissioner, Board Member, CYSA Licensed Coach, USSF Licensed Referee;
- Clovis Swim Club- Board Member;
- Clovis Little League - Coach;
- Clovis High Aquatics Boosters- Co-founder and Board member;
- Fresno State Water Polo Boosters- Co-founder and Board member.
Nelson has extensive experience in small business having started nine businesses in a variety of areas including: a restaurant, a non-hazardous waste business, a hazardous waste treatment business, a portable sign business, a print media advertising business, a sporting goods store, a product sourcing and import business, an inflatable products business and more. Nelson also has extensive experience as a small business consultant.
Nelson serves as a part-time faculty member and teaches ENTR 155 and ENTR 157
He has been married 42 years, has two children, and four grandchildren.
May 2013: Recipient of the "Entrepreneurship Education Excellence Award"
June 2013: The Student Lounge/Creativity Lab at the Lyles Center was renamed "SEBRA's Think Tank"