Conditional Admission Requirements
Fall: Open from October 1 to May 1
Spring: Open from August 1 to October 1
*Consideration for admission after the deadlines is not guaranteed.
You are an International Student if:
You are not a U.S. Citizen or a Permanent Resident (Green Card)
You hold or intend to hold non-immigrant F-1 or J-1 visa status while you are studying at CSU Fresno
Apply for Conditional Admissions (ESL + Undergraduate Freshman or ESL + Graduate):
CSU Fresno offers conditional admission to students without qualifying English proficiency test scores such as (TOEFL or IELTS) in selected degrees and programs. Students accepted through conditional admission will receive a one-year language study I-20 Form from the university. Students will first enroll in the American English Institute (AEI) on campus. Once the students have fulfilled the requirement, they will receive an academic I-20 Form and will be allowed to study in the admitted programs. Graduate students will also need to meet the required GRE or GMAT scores before studying in the graduate programs.
To apply, please follow the instructions below:
1. Submit an online undergraduate or graduate application at Cal State Apply. Also, a non-refundable Application Fee of $55 USD can be paid by credit card during online application OR mailed in the form of check, money order or wire transfer payable to “California State University, Fresno”.
2. Print and fill out the Conditional Admission Request Form (in PDF format).
3. Submit original or certified copies of Academic Credentials with literal English translation. All academic work must be included. See chart below.
4. Financial document (no older than 6 months) from sponsors showing the amount and source of support.
5. A copy of the biographic information/photo page in your passport.
Express mail your completed application documents to:
California State University, Fresno
International Student Services & Programs (ISSP)
5150 N. Maple Ave. M/S JA56
Fresno, California 93740 USA
Await Confirmation of Application
* You will receive an automatic email response confirming our receipt of your online application.
* Your application cannot be processed until all required materials are received.
After being admitted, we will notify you via email of your admissions decision. Below are the three mailing options for receiving your acceptance package:
Option 1: University Express Mail Services (UEMS) (Recommended)
If you would like to receive your I-20 within 3-5 business days after ISSP issues it, then we encourage you to register with University Express Mail Services (UEMS) at https://study.eshipglobal.com/
UEMS allows you to receive your I-20 via DHL or FedEx within 3-5 business days with a modest fee at your expense. A tracking number will be available to you when your documents are sent.
UEMS accepts major debit cards and credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Amex and Discover).
Steps to create an UEMS Account
Option 2: Regular Air Mail
If you decline the University Express Mail Services, then your documents will be sent via regular Air Mail at no cost to you.
We will send the documents via regular Air Mail (approximate delivery time varies between 4-8 weeks) to the address indicated on your admissions application. No tracking number will be available.
Option 3: Authorize a friend or a relative to pick up your documents
You can also authorize a friend or a relative to pick up your documents at our office.
Step 1. Email a statement to firstname.lastname@example.org to authorize a friend or a relative to pick up your documents.
Provide the following information:
Your Name and student ID
Friend's or Relative's name and contact information
A statement authorizing them to pick up your documents from Fresno State ISSP office
Step 2. Your friend or relative must have a proper ID and will need to sign for the documents when picking up the documents.