New International Students: Living In Fresno



International Office

International Office Mission Statement, Services and Programs

Immigration Information to Keep In Mind

Getting involved at Fresno State

Jobs and Social Security Number (SSN)

Transportation in Fresno and Out of Fresno

Driver License in California/Purchasing a Vehicle

WIFI and Using Computers on Campus (printers/scanners)

Housing in Fresno


Campus Policies

Things to Do in Fresno

Fresno Events, Arts and community

School Payments and Insurance

Self-explanatory Class Registration

Other Useful Information


International Office

Our friendly staff is always here to help international students. You are more than welcome to contact our staff with any questions that you might have.   

   Fall 2019 Team Photo



 International Office Mission Statement, Services and Programs

Our mission is to provide the highest quality services to international students, staff, and faculty at California State University, Fresno.


What are we here for?

*  The International Office staff is your advocate; we are ready to assist you upon request

*  We want to know you personally. Please introduce yourself to us and know you are welcome in the International Office.

*  We want to assist you with your questions. If you do not understand a procedure, a policy, or if something leaves you feeling confused, please ask.

*  If something we do causes you concern or problems, please let us know. We will make every effort to accommodate you whenever possible or take the time to explain and help solve any confusion.


 The following are some of the services & programs offered by the International Office:




Admission Concerns

International Education Week

Transfer Credit Issues

International Coffee Hour Series

Enrollment Verification & Certification

The Student Ambassador Program

Immigration Services & Advising for F-visa Holders

Sponsored Student Program

Immigration Services & Advising for J-visa Holders

International Culture Night

Hardship Waivers

International Commencement Celebration

Health Insurance

Exchange Visitor (J-visa) Program


 Immigration Information to Keep In Mind


Immigration Regulations


The immigration regulations pertaining to you are written on page 3 of the I-20 or page 2 of the DS-2019 that you signed.  Listed below are some of the required immigration documents and their uses.

Forms and Documents

  • Passport

Please note the expiration date of your passport.  You are required to have a valid passport at all times while in the U.S.  If your passport expires before you plan to leave the U.S., or if you should lose it, you must contact your consulate or embassy for renewal or replacement.  The International Office can assist you to locate your consulate in California.

  • Visa

This page is placed in your passport by the U.S. Consulate. It is only for the purpose of allowing you to enter the U.S.  If your visa expires while you are in the U.S., it is NOT possible to get a new visa unless you exit the country.  Also, it is not necessary to get a new visa until you leave the country; you can remain in the US with an expired VISA as long as your I-20 or DS-2019 is still valid.

  • Automated Form I-94

This is the Arrival/Departure Record electronically issued to you by the immigration officers at the airport when you entered the U.S or it can be retrieved automatically online.  Usually, the period of stay for a foreign student will be noted by D/S (Duration of Status).  This means that you may stay in the U.S. for as long as you are a full-time student pursuing the degree listed on the I-20 or DS-2019.  Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will electronically record every time you leave and enter the U.S.  A new electronic I-94 will be issued and CBP will provide an admission stamp each time you re-enter this country. To access the online I-94, go to

  • Form I-20 (for students on an F-1 visa)

This form was issued to you upon your admission to California State University, Fresno as an   F-1 student.  It is used to obtain a visa and enter the U.S.  As a foreign student, you should be in possession of page 1 and 2 of the I-20.  Before you leave the U.S. for temporary visits, you must have the I-20 endorsed by the International Office; the signature is good for one year.

  • Form DS-2019 (for students on a J-1 visa)

This form was issued to you upon your admission to California State University, Fresno as a J-1   student.  It is used to obtain a visa and enter the U.S.  As a foreign student, you should be in possession of page 1 and 2 of the DS-2019.  Before you leave the U.S. for temporary visits, you must have the DS-2019 endorsed by the International Office; the signature is good for 6 months.

Please email the International Office whenever you have issues, questions, or concerns regarding immigration policies and requirements

Legal Rights

  • Civil Laws

Civil Law applies to fulfillment of contracts, payment of bills, business arrangements, etc. Contracts may be either written or spoken.  If either party violates the conditions of the contract, the other party may bring suit in court to enforce the contract or to recover damages.  For example, students frequently have problems with apartment leases.

  • Payment of Bills

If you do not pay your bills, a suit may be filed against you and taken to a court of law. The court may then force payment of legitimate bills or other financial obligations.

  • Legal Aid

If you need legal aid regarding immigration or other matters, you may consult with the staff in the International Office.  We may be able to assist you or refer you to the proper legal help. Whenever you get into trouble with the law you should always seek legal advice from an appropriate person or entity.  The law is complex and often difficult to understand.

  • Violation of the Law

Any violation of the law can affect an international student’s immigration status. Offenses such as petty theft, drunkenness, and disturbing the peace might not directly affect your status, but will be kept on record and occasionally reviewed by USCIS. Although a single minor offense is usually excused, there is always the possibility of deportation if you commit several minor violations.

  • Arrested

If you are arrested by the police you should be aware of your rights.  You are not required to answer questions except to identify yourself and to give your address.  It is best to cooperate with law enforcement officials, but you must protect your rights as well.  

Your rights include:

  • The right to know the charges that are being brought against you.
  • The right to remain silent until you are questioned in the presence of your attorney.
  • The right to an attorney.  If you do not have one the court will provide one for you.
  • The right to a hearing in a court the day following your arrest (except Saturday and Sunday). Remember, anything you say at the hearing may be used against you in court.
  • The right to one telephone call.  Call a friend, an attorney who can arrange your release, a family member, or the International Office. 


 Getting involved at Fresno State

Students can get involved with Fresno State in many different ways. Getting involved comes with many benefits such as getting to know many students or staff, having adventures with others, enhance leadership skills and can have positive effects on your resume. This page is a short summary to guide you to how to get involved at Fresno State. For any additional information, please ask the International Office staff.

  Cultural Clubs

       Some of the clubs are based on cultures. You can meet others who have the same culture or someone is interested in a specific culture. This is a great way to meet people who have the same interest as you.

Club Sports

          Fresno State offers many club sports, which compete with schools in the nation.  All the students can join most of the club sports for free and compete for Fresno State. Few of the clubs sports are cycling, soccer, fishing, bowling and many more.


       There are more than 200 clubs and organizations at Fresno state organized by students. These clubs range from clubs connected to majors, cultural clubs, sport clubs, fraternities and sororities.  For more information and a list click here or visit USU room 306.


          Fresno state holds many events for the students. Make sure you will check your email or ask the International Office for the events you can join and have fun.


 Jobs and Social Security Number (SSN)


Remember: Working in the US is NOT your primary intention when coming to the US to study.  If asked at the US Border if your intention is to work in the United States, your answer should be no, my intention is to study. Even if you want to get an on-campus or will have legal authorization to work at some point during your academic studies, your F-1 Visa is based on your intention to study in the US.  

What is a Social Security Number?

Social Security is the U.S. government’s social insurance plan.  All U.S. citizens have a Social Security number, which designates their account with the Social Security Administration (SSA). 

Why will an international student need a Social Security Number?

If you are employed in the United States, you will need a Social Security number, even if your pay is exempt from Social Security withholding.

 If you would like to work, whether on or off campus, you will need a Social Security card.

What are my employment options as an international student?

There are three (3) educational related employment options for international students: on campus employment, CPT, and OPT. 

CPT and OPT both require one academic year of full-time enrollment before a student is eligible to apply


Now that I have a job, how do I get a Social Security Number?


There are no exceptions!

If you want to work on campus you will need to obtain an “On-Campus Work Permit” from the International Office.  In order to obtain a work permit, you must do the following:

  1. Obtain a job offer in writing.
  2. Bring your written job offer to the International Office.
  3. Complete the International Office “On-Campus Work Permit” form(s).
  4. Leave the above with the International Office front desk staff.
  5. Pick up the signed work permit within 1-3 days.

What will you need to take to the Social Security Administration Office?

 Work Permit + Contract or Job Offer from Employer + Passport + I-20/DS-2019 + Print of Electronic I-94

You will complete an application form, which is available at the Social Security office.  The passport is needed to prove your identity.  It will take about two weeks to obtain your Social Security card.

Where are the Social Security Offices in Fresno?

There are several Social Security offices in Fresno, but the International Office recommends that you go to the office listed below.  The staff at this office is aware that international students need Social Security cards and are familiar with our “On-Campus Work Permit.”  Makes sure the office is open before you visit. 

Social Security Administration

5140 E. Olive Ave, Fresno, CA




 Transportation in Fresno and Out of Fresno 

There are different ways to travel in Fresno or out of Fresno. In this section, we are going to mention a few of the ways that you can transport.

In Fresno

Enterprise Car Share

An on-campus rental program that allows a student to rent a car by the hour and does not require a US Drivers License, an international driver’s license from their home country qualifies them for the program. More information can be found here:


Fresno offers only bus system as public transport, Fresno Area Express (FAX). Bus system is FREE to all Fresno State students. By swiping your Fresno State ID, You can use any FAX bus in Fresno. If you don’t have your student ID with you, each ride cost $1.25. For bus’s route schedule, maps and more information Click Here.

Route 9, 10, 28 and 38 serve Fresno State.


Bicycles are a great way to get around Fresno. It’s cheap, a good workout and easy to maintain. For purchasing a bike, you can visit any bike shops in Fresno (Steven’s, Rubber soul, Herb Bauer and etc). Make sure you purchase a U-Lock and lock it the way it has been explained in our FresYES welcome video. You can visit Craigslist for purchasing used bikes but use caution and meet in public while purchasing. Don’t forget to use a helmet and follow the rules wherever you ride.


You can use apps such as UBER or LYFT for getting a ride. These apps can be downloaded on your phone and easily be used. You could also call a taxi and get a taxi which usually is more expensive. Please use extra cautions while using this type of transportation.   

Out of Fresno

Greyhound Bus

USA is served by Greyhound Bus Lines. Greyhound bus is a convenient and cheap way to travel to other cities or states. Their terminal is located downtown at 1033 Broadway (Broadway and Tulare) in Fresno.  For fare and schedule information call 1-800-231-2222 or the Fresno terminal at 559-268-1829.  Tickets may be purchased on campus at the USU Information Center or by going online to A variety of promotions and special prices are available on their website.

AMTRAK Train and Busses  

The main train service is Amtrak, and it is located downtown at 2650 Tulare, Bldg. B (Tulare and Q Street).  For Fresno Station information you can call 559-486-7651.  For reservation and schedule information call 1-800-872-7245 or go on-line at or

Air Travel  

The Fresno Yosemite International Airport, located at 5175 E. Clinton Way, is served by several airlines.  For information, go to You can find cheap tickets at websites such as,,,,,, www.studentuniverse.comand more.  The best time to check for a plane ticket is at 12:01 a.m., because that is when ticket agents release unpaid tickets that are on hold. Such websites often offer promotions and special prices.

Car Rental  

There are a variety of rental car services. However, before you rent a car, make sure that you ask questions about the rules, how the insurance works, miles allowed, minimum age requirements, etc. Some of the rental car services are Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Hertz, and National. You can also check the websites for further information.


 Driver License in California/Purchasing a Vehicle

 How to get a Driver’s License?


1. Make a Field Office Visit Appointment at DMV by clicking here.

  • Select the location of the office, the number of items, “Apply for an original driver license”, fill in your information, and submit.

2. Go to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office on the scheduled day.

  • Items to take with you to the exam include:
    * Passport with Visa
    * I-94 form
    * I-20 or DS-2019

3. Complete application form DL 44 at the DMV office.

4. Take the written test for a “Class C” license, which you can take in any languages.

5. Once you pass the written test,

  • DMV will give you an instruction/learner’s permit.
  • Prepare an insured car to take the driving test in.

6. Make a Behind-the-Wheel Driving Test Appointment by clicking here. (Driving test).

7. Go to the DMV office on the scheduled day

*  Items to take with you to the exam include:

Work Permit + Contract or Job Offer from Employer + Passport + I-20/DS-2019 + Print of Electronic I-94

If you:

Pass your driving test, you will be issued a temporary/interim driver’s license until you receive your new photo license in the mail.

Double-check your address before you leave the DMV. If you do not receive your license within 60 days, call 1-800-777-0133 to check the status.

Do not pass your driving test, make another appointment to retake the exam. You have up to three chances to pass. You have to pay a fee to retake the driving exam.

*The process cost about $40 depending on failing the exams or not.

If you already have a license from a different country or state, you are able to use the license in California. However, it’s the best to apply for a California Driver license.  

1) International Driving Permit

  • Always carry the following when driving: 
  • Valid International Driving Permit issued in your home country
  • Driver’s License issued in your home country
  • A photocopy of passport with Visa
  • Proof of car insurance

2) Coming from another U.S. state

Make a Field Office Visit Appointment by selecting “Apply for a California driver license and already have a driver license from another state.” And get a California Driver license. 


Tips for purchasing Vehicles or Bikes in California


For purchasing a new vehicles you can go to car dealerships. Different dealerships might offer different prices for a same vehicle. Make sure to do your research and negotiate in order to get the best price. Ask questions and be informed about the services they offer and warranty.

For purchasing new bicycles, you can visit the bike shops or other stores which have bicycles. Many stores carry different types of bikes, make sure to know what you want and know the estimated price of the bike to prevent any over paying. Ask questions about the services, return policy and warranties they provide as well.


Purchasing a great used vehicle can be challenging and hard to find. It’s the best to go with someone who has knowledge about cars to prevent purchasing a damaged car or a car with many troubles or take the car to a mechanic. You should know Salvage vehicles have mostly been in accidents or been stolen before. If buying from dealerships, make sure to ask for warranty and return policy. Keep in mind, a car can breakdown and can be costly to repair. It’s the best to be caution while purchasing your vehicle.

It’s also the best to ask someone who knows about bicycles to guide you in your bike purchase.

*If you are meeting someone from online, make sure to meet in public and go with a friend to prevent any possible risk for your safety.  


 WIFI and Using Computers on Campus (printers/scanners) 

How to use Fresno State Wi-Fi? 

Select Eduroam then enter in your full email address and email password then press OK to connect to the campus free Wi-Fi. If you don’t have a Fresno State email address, make sure to create one. If you don’t know how to create one, click here to learn how to create your email address. For more information about Fresno State Wi-Fi, Please click here

If you want to know where the wireless networked buildings and wireless partial coverage are at Fresno State, click here to see the map.

Computer Labs at Fresno State

There are many computer labs at Fresno State that students can use. Most of the computer labs come with printers and scanners. Students can charge their students ID at a variation of places and are able to use the printers at the computer labs. Scan is free for all student but student IDs are required. Here is only list of few of the computer labs:

  1. Education 420 
  2. Peters Business 133
  3. Social Sciences 202
  4. Henry Madden Library

In order to log in to computers at the computer labs, use your email username and password without For more information about the computer labs, please click here

Renting Computers and Tablets at Library

If for any reason you can’t or don’t want to use the computer labs, you can rent tablets and laptops at Library’s first floor FOR FREE. Make sure you will return the devices on time and the way you have received it to avoid getting extra charges.


 Housing in Fresno

When it comes to housing, Fresno offers many options for new students. Three main options that students have are: 

  1. Dorm (University courtyard)
  2. Apartments (There are few apartments walking distance from Fresno State)
  3. Private home

Each option has multiple upsides and downsides. Please refer to the table below to get more familiar with the pros and cons of each option. Depending on your preference you can find a variety of prices for apartments and private homes in Fresno.

Dorms (559-278-2345 or

If you want to live on campus, it’s a good idea to apply early, as there is often a waiting list, and space is limited. The halls offer double accommodations (two students per room) and offer a limited number of single rooms.  Residents are expected to live in the halls for the full academic year and are required to sign a contract. (Unless you are a Spring only resident).  Before you move in the contract may be broken without penalty for reasons outside of your control – such as refused admission or serious medical problem.  If you qualify to break your contract, you should give a 30-day notice to avoid an administrative charge.  

Once you move in, the contract cannot be broken without penalty unless you withdraw or get married.

Meal plans are available either on a 14 or 19 meal plan per week. For more information call the Residence Dining Hall at 278-3904.




Social life

Meal plan








Can be expensive







Private Home


Poor to Average




  • Pros and cons mentioned in the table are not the only ones to be concerned about. Please make sure to do your research before choosing a place to live in. Choosing the right area and the right apartment complex can be essential. Take the distance from school to your place under consideration as well.

Consider Rental Insurance to cover your personal belonging while in an apartment, you never know when the unexpected might happen.

A Guide to Renters Insurance:


How to open a bank account? 

To open an account at a bank, you will need to provide necessary identification, such as your passport and, sometimes, another form of identification, such as a student ID card.  Take your passport and other ID to the bank and tell a bank employee you would like to open an account.  Make sure to mention that you are a student because many banks offer Free Banking for students. 

It’s a good idea to open a bank account in a bank close by to where you live or your school for more convenience. However, banks might offer a variety of interest on saving accounts or different charges for money transfer and other services. Be sure to be informed and know which one suits you the best before opening your bank account.  


If you decide to write checks, try to record all the checks you write. Also, try to ask for a receipt from the person or company that you are writing the checks to. Below you can see how to fill out a check correctly:

Banks Close to Fresno State

Below you can find a few banks that are relatively close to Fresno State:




Cross street

Phone number

Golden1 Credit Union

USU at Fresno State


(877) 465-3361


Citi Bank

20 W Shaw Ave

Clovis, CA 93612

Shaw & Minnewawa

(559) 549-9679

Wells Fargo Bank

75 Shaw Ave

Clovis, CA 93612

Shaw & Minnewawa

(559) 442-6266

Bank of America

590 E Shaw Ave

Fresno, CA 93710

First & shaw

(559) 445-7341


Chase Bank

796 E Shaw Ave

Fresno, CA 93710

First & shaw

(559) 225-2995



Coins in the USA

What coins are called in the USA can confuse people from other countries. 


 Campus Policies

Being a full time student

All international students must be a full time student at all time. To maintain being a full time student, undergraduate students must take at least 12 units and graduate students must take at least in 9 units


 Must Know

Undergraduate Students are subject to academic probation or disqualification when either their cumulative or campus grade point average drops   below a 2.00 GPA.  Graduate students are subject to academic probation or disqualification when their grade point average drops  below a 3.0 GPA.



Students must meet all degree requirements as specified in their catalog year. Please refer to the table below for detailed information. You can also click here to go to the website for the table.


*Freshman: First year students or passed 1-29 units, Sophomore: Second year students or passed 30-59 units, Junior: third year students or passed 60-89 units, Senior: fourth + year stundets or passed 90+ units


  • A paid parking permit is required on the campus during classes Monday through Thursday from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Fridays from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Permit parking on campus is enforced. (Fall and Spring)
  • Summer paid parking permit is required Monday - Thursday, 7:30 am to 8:00 pm and Friday, 7:30 am - 2:00 pm.
  • Please Note:  Parking permits are not required on Saturdays, Sundays, and State holidays, except during special events.
  • Permit can be purchased for daily parking use or can be purchased for a semester (Fall, spring or summer). For how to buy a permitClick Here.
  • Students and Visitors can ONLY park in GREEN areas.
  • If you receive a parking citation, you must pay the appropriate penalty within 30 days in order to avoid incurring a late penalty.

Smoking policy

  • You must be 21 or older to purchase cigarettes or tobacco.
  • The University shall be a smoke-free campus

Alcohol policy

  • You must be 21 or older in order to drink alcohol.
  • You cannot be under the influence of alcohol while on campus or in public.
  • Students acting in violation of the alcohol policy will be referred to the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs. For further questions on policy, contact the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs (559) 278-2541. For more information, read Policy of Campus Use of Alcoholic Beverages.

Sexual Harassment

  • Sexual harassment includes such behaviors as sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, another verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature when submission to or rejection of such conduct is used as a basis for employment/academic decisions affecting such individual; or such conduct has the purpose of effect of unreasonable inferring with an individual’s performance, or creating an intimidating, hostile or offensive working/learning environment.
  •  If you feel you are being sexually harassed make an appointment with a counselor in the International Office.
  •  If you are uncomfortable being alone with an instructor or staff member this could be a warning sign. Please make an appointment to see a counselor in the International Office. 

For more information about Academic Regulationsclick here or click here for more information about University Policies.


 Things to Do in Fresno

There are many things to do in Fresno in your free time. A list of suggested activities can be found below, but keep in mind that there is always something going on in Fresno so get connected to the community.

  • Square at Campus Point; Maya Cinemas – right next to campus
  • Fresno Chaffee Zoo
  • Gateway Ice Center
  • Metal Mark Climbing and Fitness
  • No Surrender Laser Tag
  • River Park
  • Horse Back riding
  • Shopping at Sierra Vista Mall, Fashion Fair Mall or River Park Shopping Center
  • Woodward Park
  • Underground Gardens
  • Bar & Clubs; Jimbo’s / Old Town Saloon



The list above is only a few of the things you can do in Fresno. You can explore Fresno yourself and find things to do depending on your interest. Fresno is located in a great location where it is only an hour away from Yosemite National Park, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parkand many lakes. You should make time to travel to the Parks around Fresno and enjoy the beautiful scenery that they offer

 Fresno Events, Arts and community

Fresno Events, Arts, Government, and Community   

  • The City of Fresno official website:  
    Local government, city services, tourism, events, entertainment guides, and more!
  • The Fresno City and County Convention Center Visitors Bureau:
    Virtual tours/attractions, local brew pubs/restaurants, and events
  • Fresno State Dept. of Music Calendar of Events
    Jazz, classical, guitar, and more ranging from recitals to professional performers
  • Fresno Grizzlies Baseball:  
  • Fresno State Sports: 
  • Fig Garden Village Shopping


 School Payments and Insurance

 Fee Payments Deadline 

School fees must be paid before deadlines to prevent classes from getting dropped. All the fees have to be paid in order for all the classes to stay enrolled. Insurance fees are also included in the fees for each semester. Deadlines and Registration period are listed below for Fall 2019. 

Registration Period

Payment Deadline

Early Registration

(April 22 - July 31, 2019)

3:30PM on July 31, 2019 
If full payment is not received by this payment deadline, you will be subject to disenrollment from all classes.


Open Registration

(August 2, 2019 - September 11, 2019)

5:00 p.m. on September 11, 2019
If full payment is not received by this payment deadline, you will be subject to disenrollment from all classes.


Accounting Services maintains all financial transactions recorded on students and sponsors accounts. They can assist you with Fresno State's tuition payments, campus fees, payment options, refunds, parking permit and BankMobile Vibe procedures and instructions. For more information visit them online:

For important dates to remember such as last day to drop classes and be eligible for full refund or last day to drop a class please visit Accounting Services here. For academic calendar please Click Here.

Health Insurance

As a condition of your enrollment at California State University, Fresno, you will be automatically enrolled in the CSU-approved health insurance policy.  Your student account will be automatically charged the health insurance premium in two installments during the academic year, once for the fall semester covering the period of August - January. Similarly, Spring semester, covering the period of January - August. Your dependents are not covered under this plan. 

  • For Fall: $610
  • For Spring/Summer: $840

Those students who have coverage provided by a sponsoring organization, such as the Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission or Omani Cultural Division will not be required to enroll in the CSU-approved health insurance plan.  Please purchase travel insurance ONLY for the period that you will be in the United States that is not covered by the effective dates of the policy listed above.

For additional Health Insurance information visit our website:



 Self-explanatory Class Registration



Go to and Click on Sign In.


Enter your username and Password to Log In. This is the same password and username as your Fresno state email.  If you don’t have an account, you have to create an account.


Choose the “Student Self Service” option in my menu as shown. Your name and your student ID should appear at the top of this page where it’s shown in the picture.

Choose “Student Center” as shown.

Holds and other important information appear on the right hand side of the page. These can prevent you from being able to register.  

Choose “Class Search” under “My Academic Records & Registration” as shown.

Important note: Your academic advisor and other advisors appear where No 1 is located in the picture.  Your holds and other important information appear where No 2 is located.


  1. Choose the semester you desire
  2. Type the subject you are looking for (Chem for Chemistry, Bio for Biology, Crim for criminology and etc.)  or simply search the subjects by clicking on “Select subjects”
  3. For Additional Search Criteria click on the arrow to view other options
  4. Remember additional step by step directions are in the Online Orientation you need to complete prior to arrival. 


Open means the class is open and if you qualify, you can enroll in the class.

Closed means class is full and has the maximum number of students. Student can enroll only if they have permission number.

Wait List means the class is full. However, you can be in the wait list in case anyone drop the class or get dropped, you will be enrolled in the class. Can be registered with permission number without any wait.

Permission number override registration restrictions such as:

  • Closed Class: Class is full.
  • Student Level: Restricted to specific student level(s).
  • Major: Class is restricted to specific major(s).
  • Consent: Requires consent from the department.
  • Administrative Add: Third/fourth week of instruction.

Where to get the permission number?

Numbers are issued by either the instructor or department. Search for a class to find instructor name then use the Campus Directory to search for contact information by name or department.


As can be seen, some classes are a wait list, some are closed and some are open. Simply click on “Select” in front of the class you would like to take.


*If the class comes with a lab, this page will appear after choosing “Select”. Choose the lab you like and click on “Next” or “Cancel” to cancel.


  1. Click on the first option if the class is full and you would like to to be in the wait list.
  2. If you have a Permission Number, you can type it and simply click “Next”
  3. Click “Next” after done or “Cancel” to cancel.
  4. Shows the information of the lecture and lab that you have chosen.


After Clicking “Next”, you should get the message above.

Note: You are NOT done yet. You must the next step to be enrolled in any classes.

Click on the “Class Wish List” on the top after getting the message in the last step.

Select the desired class and choose enroll. You must get a message that confirms you have enrolled to the class. Any other message means your enrollment has not been successful.

*If you have the class number, you can skip the steps before and just enter the class number above (where it has been circled)

If you need help or have questions, please see an International Office staff member. You can also visit Fresno State guide for class registration by clicking here.

Dropping a Class

  1. To drop a class previously added, click on Drop a Class link. Select the class you want to drop. View your results bychecking the box in the Select column. Then click Drop Selected Classes. Confirm your selection and click Finish Dropping.
  2. To verify all classes are correct, click on My Class Schedule.  

Swapping a Class

Swapping a class means replacing an existing class in your enrolled classes list with another class at the same time.  This transaction must occur simultaneously.  If you drop a class on Tuesday and add a different class in its place on Wednesday, this is not swapping.  This transaction is called dropping and adding.  It is recommended that students swap classes instead of dropping and adding. Missing the deadlines for dropping and adding will result in additional fees. 

  • Under My Menu, select Student Self Service.
  1. Click on Student Center
  2. Under the heading of Enrollment, click on Add a Class.
  3. Select the term.
  4. Currently enrolled classes will appear.
  5. Go to top of screen and click on Swap Classes.
  6. Select the class you want to swap under the heading Swap this Class.
  7. Select the new class you want to add under the heading with this Class. Click Enter.
  8. If there is a Related Class Section (lab), you must also select a lab section. If no related class section exists and the new class selection is open, click Next. If the class is closed, cancel your request and select a new class/section.
  9. A confirmation panel will appear. On this panel, you will verify the course you are dropping (swap) with the new class you are adding.
  10. Click the Finish Swapping button located at the bottom of the panel.
  11. A Results panel will appear. View the message and check the status of the swap.
  12. If you have an error, read the detail description.

For more help on swapping a class, please visit a staff member in the International office.   


Please keep in mind all students are responsible to check their Blackboard regularly. Homework and many other course materials get posted on Blackboard during the semester.  For more information or questions please visit Fresno State webpage about Blackboard by clicking here. For login to Blackboard click here.


 Other Useful Information

Safety is very important at Fresno State. The Fresno State  Police Department offers patrol services in high priority areas and full service law enforcement 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

It is highly recommended to program the campus police phone number,  559-278-8400 into your phones in the event of an emergency.

Safety Alerts from Fresno State Police Department

It’s been recently brought to the Fresno State Police Departments attention that people have been coming onto campus falsely representing themselves to obtain money and /or property from Fresno State students. These people do not have permission from Fresno State to solicit any donations on Fresno State property. Students have reported the following untrue stories to the Fresno State Police Department:

  • Asking for a donation for a false charity.
  • Selling fictitious magazine subscriptions.
  • Asking for money for personal hardship.
  • Falsely using Facebook and Craigslist to buy/sell property and solicit funds.

 Safety Tips

  • Don’t walk alone and be aware of your surroundings
  • Don’t lend strangers money.
  • Be cautions when approached by strangers.

If you have any questions please contact the Fresno State Police   Department at (559) 278‐8400

Safety Escorts

Call (559) 278-8400 or locate an emergency phone to request a safety escort officer.

Radio-equipped, uniformed, and trained safety escort officers will accompany persons to their destinations on campus 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If a safety escort officer is unavailable, a police officer will provide this service.


Information Center at USU (University Student Union)

You can purchase many tickets (such as movie tickets for Edward cinemas, Disneyland, Six flags and many more) at Information Center for cheaper than the actual price. You can also get the Fresno State games and matches ticket at the same place. For checking their ticket prices and what type of tickets they offer online please click here.

Recreation Center

Recreation Center is located at walking distance from Fresno State next to the Savemart Center. Students can visit recreation center to enjoy the gym for FREE with using their student ID. There are many group fitness classes that students can join as well as using the lifts. For more information about Recreation Center and their group fitness schedule please visit Recreation Center website by clicking here.

Online resources for students

There are many online resources that students can take advantage of. One of the resources is rate my professor ( which provides a rating for professors. This can help students to pick classes wisely and know what to expect in a course. Other resources are available such as online tutoring, YouTube teaching videos and many more.

Address or phone number changes

If you would like to change your address or phone number, please follow the steps below:

  1. Go to website and login.
  2. Once you login, click on Student Self Service and then click on Student Center.
  3. On your Student Center, under the heading labeled Personal Information, you can change either your Home Address or your Mailing Address by clicking directly on the address link.
  4. Select the "Edit" button for the Address Type(s) you wish to change.
  5. Enter your new address information and click "OK".
  6. Verify the new address(es) and click SAVE.
  7. A confirmation message will appear indicating "The Save was successful"

Cell Phones

There are many cell phone providers in USA such as T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon and many more. These companies provide different plans with pre-paid or post-paid options. Keep in mind, getting a family plan with friends can save you money on your monthly payments. For more information please visit their websites or shops located in Fresno.