What Can Fresno State Offer You?
What are you looking for in a university? Academic reputation? A vibrant student body? Networking opportunities with faculty and alumni? Whatever it is, odds are you’ll find it at California State University, Fresno.
As a candidate for the President’s Honors Scholarship in the Smittcamp Family Honors College, you may have certain predisposed beliefs about Fresno State and the California State University system as a whole. Maybe you’ve been led to believe that a CSU can’t offer you the level of education you’re seeking. Or perhaps someone has told you that receiving a degree from a CSU won’t impress on a resume.
We don’t subscribe to those beliefs, and neither do our students. The facts speak for themselves.
Typically, Smittcamp Family Honors College awardees receive additional acceptances from institutions such as Columbia, Stanford, UC Berkeley, UCLA and USC. Yet, ultimately, they choose to join the Smittcamp Family Honors College.
Why? Everyone has his or her own reason. For some, it is the four-year scholarship. Others like the small class sizes and collegial atmosphere. Or perhaps it is Fresno State’s notable faculty and nationally recognized programs.
On this page you’ll find just a few of the reasons you should choose Fresno State.
And once you’re done here, you might want to take a look at The Top 10 Things that Make Fresno State Unique.
As a leading campus in the California State University system, Fresno State offers many programs that rival or exceed what UC campuses and private institutions provide.
- 26 nationally accredited departmental programs
- 59 undergraduate majors
- 43 master’s degrees
- 30 credential programs
- A joint doctorate in Physical Therapy; Educational Leadership and 6 certificates of advanced study
- The region’s number one producer of professionals, teachers, and administrators
Eight Schools and Colleges, plus Two Divisions:
- Jordan College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology
- College of Arts and Humanities
- Craig School of Business
- Kremen School of Education and Human Development
- Lyles College of Engineering
- College of Health and Human Services
- College of Science and Mathematics
- College of Social Sciences
- Division of Continuing and Global Education
- Division of Graduate Studies
- 13 endowed chairs insure innovative research and teaching.
- An Office of Research and Sponsored Programs that is among the largest of its kind in California.
- The Henry Madden Library is the largest library in the California State University system.
- Fresno State is at the geographic center of California, about a three-hour drive from Los Angeles or San Francisco.
- Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks—some of the world’s most breathtaking scenery and natural wonders—arejust a short drive away.
- The Fresno metropolitan area is home to nearly 1 million people. Fresno has all the amenities of a big city, yet retains a friendly, atmosphere.
- Industry, while traditionally agriculturally based, is today gaining distinction for its growing high-tech enterprise and innovative future focus including renewable energy development.
- Fresno State hosts a broad and diverse range of student clubs and organizations. President’s Scholars are often centrally involved in these organizations as well as in student government(Associated Students, Incorporated). President’s Scholars Jennifer Reimerand Russel Statham have served on the California State University Board of Trustees.
- Fresno State has some of the best collegiate sports programs in the nation. Bulldog student athletes play professionally, have won Olympic medals and hold distinguished coaching assignments. Our women’s softball team is a consistent national power; the men’s baseball team won the 2008 NCAA National Championship, and our football team plays regularly beforenational television audiences.
- Our on-campus events center, the 16,000 seat Save Mart Center, hosts some of the biggest entertainment acts in the world, including The Rolling Stones, Andrea Bocelli, Tim McGraw, The Black Eyed Peas, and JohnMayer.