Director of Sponsored Programs
The Director of Sponsored Programs, reporting to the Associate Vice President for Research and Sponsored Programs (AVPRSP), is responsible for providing leadership in support of grant and contract proposal preparation and submission to external funding sources. Sponsored programs include research, public service and educationally related project proposals and awards, primarily from federal and state agencies.
California State University, Fresno (Fresno State) currently attracts approximately $35 million annually in grant and contract funding. With the recent retirement of its Director of Sponsored Programs and another senior manager, the university is searching for an experienced, collaborative leader who can provide practical vision and direction to advance the university’s multi-faceted mission through the expansion of grant and contract funding. We are seeking an ambitious professional who can inspire ORSP managers, faculty and college leaders to achieve at a higher level, who has a track record of setting ambitious but reasonable goals, and who strives to reach those goals through sound planning, training, and teamwork.
Major Duties and Tasks Considered Essential Functions of the Position
- Sets ORSP goals and objectives in consultation with the AVPRSP.
- Assumes primary responsibility for the day-to-day management of pre-award, sponsored program operations of the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP).
- Oversees grant and contract managers, makes specific assignments, and prepares performance evaluations for review and approval.
- With the AVPRSP, plans and conducts managerial, faculty and staff training related to proposal development, with particular attention to budget development and compliance.
- In the AVPRSP's absence, serves as institutional authorizing official on grant proposals.
- Assists the AVPRSP and deans in preparing and assessing annual grant and contract plans.
- Plans and supervises the training of faculty and staff in proposal writing and grants administration.
- Oversees the collection and assembling of data on grant and contract activity for the AVPRSP and assists the AVPRSP in analyzing the data and providing reports for internal and/or external constituencies.
- Reviews Project Information Forms (PIF) for accuracy, completeness, indirect cost allocation, and compliance of proposals with applicable policies and procedures.
- Assumes responsibilities for grant and contract activity for one major focus area as assigned.
- As needs dictate, spearheads specific proposals or develops special contracts and agreements.
- Recommends budget allocations to the AVPRSP to accomplish grant and contract development.
- Serves on committees as needed and as appointed by the AVPRSP.
- Represents the ORSP at professional and educational forums in the AVPRSP's absence.
- Serves as a liaison between pre-award and post award with regard to cooperative training and facilitates the transition of awards from pre-award to post-award.
- A graduate degree from an accredited college or university and five (5) years of experience in a university sponsored research office (or comparable professional setting) or a bachelor’s degree and 10 years of full time professional experience, with five years of supervisory experience, in a university sponsored program office.
- Ability to provide practical vision and to supervise managers in a professional manner.
- Demonstrated skill at developing a significant number of successful grant proposals in a variety of areas and academic disciplines as evidenced by a minimum of two years of professional experience in a university grants/sponsored programs office, a public or private research center, or comparable environment.
- Ability to establish and meet ambitious goals as measured by expansion of university grants and contracts and other quantitative measures.
- Knowledge of and experience with federal funding agencies.
- Well developed budgeting skills (utilizing EXCEL) consistent with research administration standards.
- Well developed computer skills.
- Skill at planning, research, and technical writing/editing.
- Strong initiative and demonstrated ability to work in a deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to work in a collaborative manner with a wide range of individuals and groups.
- Ability to represent the AVPRSP at internal and external meetings.
- Six (6) or more years of successful, professional supervisory experience in a university grants and contracts office, a research center or comparable professional environment.
- Two (2) or more years as Director of Sponsored Programs (or comparable position) at a college or university.
- Significant successful experience interacting with representatives of federal agencies.
- A doctoral degree from an accredited college or university.
- Experience with and knowledge of grants.gov, and other electronic proposal submission programs.
- General knowledge of patents and technology transfer.
Computer, copying, FAX and other office equipment.
Reporting and Supervisory Responsibilities
Reports to the AVPRSP.
Supervises grant and contract managers.
Level of Supervision
Acts under general supervision with responsibility for pre-award sponsored program activity.
Office Location -- Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
Applicants must submit: (1) a letter of application addressing their background and skills as they relate to the job description; (2) a current resume/curriculum vitae; and (3) the names, titles, phone numbers and email addresses of five professional references.
Applicants should apply by January 31, 2010 to be assured of full consideration. The position will remain open until filled.Apply through http://jobs.fresnostate.edu