APPEALS AND PETITIONS
The maximum allowable load is 16 units for full-time master’s degree students, when one or more courses in the 200 series are included. Requests for exceptions to this policy must be addressed to the Graduate Division on a Graduate Student Petition for Academic Overload during the first two weeks of the semester. Students employed full time may take a maximum of 6 units. The Summer Session Catalog defines the maximum allowable units during the summer session ( see the General Catalog).
Course validation determines subject currency in outdated (older than five years) coursework. A maximum of one-third of the courses listed on the student’s approved “Petition of Advancement to Candidacy” may be validated. Validation methods are determined individually for each course by the instructor of record. To validate a course, a “Recommendation for Course Validation” form is required.
- Student must have an approved “Petition of Advancement to Candidacy” form on file in the Division of Research and Graduate Studies office.
- Coursework listed on the approved “Petition of Advancement to Candidacy” must be out of date (older than five years).
- Coursework can only be validated when both the instructor of the course and the graduate coordinator/director have approved the validation method.
- Coursework can only be validated if a grade of "B" or better was obtained in the out-dated course.
- The final day of the term in which the student applies to graduate in.
Students should pick up the “Recommendation for Course Validation” form from the Division of Research and Graduate Studies office, or access it from the website; meet with the instructor of the outdated course, or if no longer present, meet with the current instructor to determine the method of validation; obtain the instructor’s and graduate coordinator’s/director's signatures; and return the form to the Division of Research and Graduate Studies office.
Only courses taken at Fresno State may be validated.