Skip to contentSkip to navigation

Substitute Pay Forms

How to Hire substitutes

1. Review the Order of Assignment for qualified Lecturers

  • 3-year part-time qualified lecturers with unfilled entitlements (less than Full-Time)
  • 1-year part-time qualified lecturers with unfilled entitlements (less than Full-Time)
  • Qualified part-time lecturers without an entitlement (less than Full-Time)
  • Qualified teaching associate with less than part-time units assigned

2. If a certain expertise is required which is only available from a current T/T-T faculty member, release the T/T-T faculty member from part of his/her assigned classes to cover the needed class, and hire a "substitute" for his/her vacated class from the Order of Assignment.

3. If no qualified lecturer or T/T-T are available, locate a qualified member outside the department. Click to follow instructions to submit new hire application.

There are three types of substitutions:

1. Voluntary Substitution

The CBA at Article 20.8 allows faculty to substitute for colleagues for periods of short duration on a voluntary basis, and this practice is often used when the absence entails only a limited number of classes and involves modest amounts of preparation for the faculty member doing the substituting.  The CBA requires prior approval of the program chair for such arrangements.

2. Substitutes for Short Duration (20 or fewer days)

Because the University currently receives no separate allocation to pay for substitutes, funds for this purpose are normally drawn from part-time faculty funds in the Program in which the substitute is hired.  For substitutions of short duration (the CBA refers to 20 or fewer days), faculty are to be compensated at the hourly rate on the current salary schedule for class code 2356.  

3. Substitutes/Replacements for More than 20 Days
  1. Substitutes

For periods in excess of 20 days, the CBA states that compensation is to be in the form of a workload reduction, given as soon as is practicable (e.g., a faculty member who substituted for a colleague for most of the semester in a 3-unit class might be given a 3-unit reduction in workload the following semester in the same academic year).  In the event the substitute is not returning, compensation would be required at the time of separation.

 2. Replacements

When it is not known at the time of appointment whether or not a regular faculty member will be returning from his/her absence after 20 days, the replacement should initially be hired as a substitute. If the appointment goes on for more than twenty days, a regular lecturer appointment must be made for the substitute employee.    

If the use of substitutes compensated by workload reduction is not possible, it may be necessary to appoint a replacement faculty member, using the campus procedures for hiring temporary (part-time) faculty.  Compensation will be based on weighted teaching units, using the salary schedule for class code 2358. 

When to use

It is sometimes necessary for programs to temporarily replace faculty who, because of illness or other causes, are unable to meet their assigned instructional duties.  Such substitutions are governed in part by Article 20.8 of Unit 3 (Faculty) Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA)

 For the purposes of this document the term substitute faculty (class code 2356) refers to individuals who either:

1)    work voluntarily;

2)    are compensated at an hourly rate; or

3)    are compensated by a workload reduction.

The term replacement faculty refers to individuals substituting or replacing another faculty member for an extended time period and appointed as temporary faculty (class code 2358) under Article 12, Section 12.3 of the CBA (using the normal process and forms for part-time or full-time lecturer appointments).

When not to use

  • An already Full-Time faculty member (whether tenured, probationary, or temporary) cannot go over 1.0 timebase (see CBA, Article 36.5 below).
  • Substitute work is not of a substantially different nature than their primary or normal employment, therefore, cannot be paid Additional Pay for the substitute teaching assignment (36.5(a)).
  • Faculty on "paid" leaves (Sabbatical, DIP) are considered to be in work status (thus, full-time status).
  • Per the Collective Bargaining Agreement on overtime:
  • 36.5 A faculty unit employee shall be limited in CSU employment to the equivalent of one (1) full-time [position]. An “overage” of up to twenty-five percent (25%) of a full-time position shall be allowed if the overage employment: 

(a) consists of employment of a substantially different nature from his/her primary or normal employment; 

(b) is funded from non-general fund sources; 

(c) is the result of the accrual of part-time employment on more than one (1) campus; 


(d) is necessary to meet a temporary faculty employee’s entitlement to full-time work, or to offer work to a part-time temporary faculty employee up to full time under provision 12.29 (a) (8) or (b) (9). However, in no case shall a faculty unit employee’s entitlement to subsequent employment at a campus exceed full-time in any academic term.

Rate of Pay Is listed on the Substitute Pay Form

Salary Schedule click here

Substitute Pay Form

Excel format (updated 2/6/2019)

Teaching Associate Substitute form - included on above form.