Instructional Student Assistant
- The hiring of Academic Student Employees (Teaching Associates, Graduate Assistants, and Instructional Student Assistants) is regulated by the articles of the Collective Bargaining Agreement as agreed upon by the CSU and the UAW (Bargaining Unit 11). The current CBA covers the period of November 16, 2016 through September 30, 2018 and may be accessed at: https://www2.calstate.edu/csu-system/faculty-staff/labor-and-employee-relations/Pages/unit11-uaw.aspx
- Care must be taken to ensure that Agreement articles related to appointment and notice, as well as CSU System-wide Classification and Qualification Standards are upheld.
Instructional Student Assistants have working assignments that may involve tutoring, advising, and/or grading.
Instructional Student Assistants are limited to a maximum of 20 hours per week of total employment while the student is enrolled in classes. Instructional Student Assistants employed for less than 20 hours per week may be appointed concurrently in another student classification up to a combined total of approximately 20 hours per week.
Department Information on Recruiting and Hiring Processes and Procedures
eRecruit vacancies for ISA's (instructions .pdf)
- if not using eRecruit: Academic Student Employee Application (used for TA's, GA's, and ISA's) (rev 06/2019)
*major changes coming soon
- Department New ISA Hiring Guidelines (.pdf) (coming soon)
- Procedures for Hiring NEW IA's (instructions .pdf)
Duties Form - Required for ALL Unit 11 Employees
- Duties Form: PDF | revised Feb 17; updated June 2017
- Duties Form (Word) | revised Feb 17; updated June 2017
If a student has not worked in as an employee with Fresno State, the appointment will be a NEW Hire. Submit all required and Faculty Affairs will reach out for a Payroll Intake Session.
New Hires are also considered changing positions and will require a New Hire Payroll Intake Session:
- (a) ISA --> TA;
- (b) ISA --> GA;
- (c) GA --> TA
- Salary Schedule 1150 (CalState website)
- Salary Schedule to Faculty Affairs
- Pay Calendars
- Pay Schedule: ISA’s are positive pay positions, paid for hours worked. ISA’s receive their pay warrants on the dates as noted on the University Payroll Calendar, usually the 15th day of the month. See Time Entry content.
Time Entry through MyFresnoState
ISAs are appointed for a selected amount of time and are paid on a monthly basis during the period of employment.
A Timesheet must be completed by the last day of each month. This timesheet is accessed through MyFresnoState.
Time Entry Guide is located on HR website (PDF)