- The hiring of Academic Student Employees (Teaching Associates, Graduate Assistants, and Instructional Student Assistants) is regulated by the articles of the Collective Bargaining Agreement as agreed upon by the CSU and the UAW (Bargaining Unit 11). The current CBA covers the period of November 13, 2018 through September 30, 2020 and may be accessed at: https://www2.calstate.edu/csu-system/faculty-staff/labor-and-employee-relations/Pages/unit11-uaw.aspx
- Care must be taken to ensure that Agreement articles related to appointment and notice, as well as CSU System-wide Classification and Qualification Standards are upheld.
Policies and Resources
Graduate Assistants provide non-teaching assistance to faculty members with work assignments that may involve supervising students, research for a supervising faculty member, and the evaluation of student work and examinations.
Graduate Assistants are limited to a maximum of 20 hours per week of total employment while the student is enrolled in classes. Graduate Assistants employed for less than 20 hours per week may be appointed concurrently in another student classificationup to a combined total of approximately 20 hours per week.
Department Information on Recruiting Hiring Processes and Procedures
Job Announcements for TA's will be posted to the Careers Page at https://careers.fresnostate.edu/en-us/listing/
- Procedures for Creating a Job Announcement (available in Box)
- Procedures for Hiring NEW GA's (instructions available in Box)
Duties Form - Required for ALL Unit 11 Employees
- Duties Form: Template in DocuSign
If a student has not worked in as an employee with Fresno State, the appointment will be a NEW Hire. Submit all required and Faculty Affairs will reach out for a Payroll Intake Session.
New Hires are also considered changing positions and will require a New Hire Payroll Intake Session:
- (a) ISA --> TA;
- (b) ISA --> GA;
- (c) GA --> TA
- Salary Schedule 2355 (CalState website)
- Salary Schedule to Faculty Affairs
- Pay Calendars
- Pay Schedule: GA’s are salaried positions and receive five pay warrants for each semester appointment (Fall: Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan; Spring: Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun). Monthly GA’s (2325) are paid monthly based on length of employment.