Temporary Faculty Appointment
Temporary Appointments are recruited through the departments. If there is a subject you may be interested in teaching, please contact the department for the subject.
Temporary Appointment Types
Review the descriptions below. Select the classification that applies to the assignment. Recruitment Process is listed at the links provided below. If you need additional guidance for applying to a position, contact the department in whcih you want to work.
- Lecturers (Temporary Faculty)
- Graduate Assistant - AY/Monthly
- Immediate Pay classifications (CGE)
- Instructional Student Assistant
- Music Studio Instructors - Contact Music Department
- Nepotism - Sample Memo ( Word)
- Separation and Separation Form
- Substitute Instructor Forms and Policies
- Teaching Associate (use CSU Contract Data)
- Volunteer (Current faculty or new appointments
New Hire Information
When an application and appointment notice/contract is received from the department, Faculty Affairs will invite New Hire Faculty to a Payroll Intake Presentation to complete Payroll Paperwork.
A new hire Payroll Intake Session is necessary if an employee:
- has never worked for Fresno State
- has not worked within the past two current semesters
- was a former TA or previous substitute lecturer and receives a new lecturer position
- was/are a previous Student Assistant, ISA, or GA and now a new TA.
The below information is presented and discussed and lasts 45-60 minutes receive basic information about the university and sign the appointment notice.
Recruitment Process for prospective employees
eRecruit (online application) vacancies for positions
- Some departments list vacancy announcements for Temporary Lecturers, Teaching Associates, Graduate Assistants, and Instructional Student Assistants positions at http://jobs.fresnostate.edu
If a department does not have a posted vacancy announcement, please contact the department for information on applying for the temporary pool. The university provides an on-line directory to search for departments and phone number. The below application will be required for new hires:
- Temporary Faculty Application Form (rev 06/2019): Submit an application, Curriculum Vitae (resume), cover letter, three current letters of recommendation to the department. Contact department for other materials required.
- Academic Student Employees (rev 06/2019): Please refer to your department on required materials for submission. Please note: these positions are for current Fresno State students.
New Hire Policies & Resources
- Salary Chart for Lecturers
- Salary Chart for Academic Student Employees (U11: TA's, GA's, & ISA's)
- Pay Calendars (opens in New Window to Payroll website)
- Pay Schedule: AY Lecturers are salaried positions and receive six pay warrants for each semester assignment.
Other Pay related resources: please refer to specific appointment type for more information.
- Temporary Faculty Benefits Eligibility Information (PDF) (revised Oct 2017)
- Benefits (opens in New Window to Payroll website)
- CalStateTEACH website
DAAs: Contract Dates, Updating Contracts and Submission Timelines
- Fall 2019 Semester: 8/19/2019 - 12/20/2019
- Spring 2020 Semester: 1/16/2020 - 5/22/2020
- AY 2019-2020: 8/19/2019 - 5/22/2020
- Year 1 of 3: 8/19/2019 - 5/31/2022
- Year 2 of 3: 8/19/2019 - 5/31/2021
- Year 3 of 3: 8/19/2019 - 5/22/2020
Information for Processing
DAAs: Faculty Affairs Briefings
Below are archive Briefings for DAAs
- Spring 2018 (PDF)