Psychology is a diverse discipline, grounded in science, but with nearly boundless applications in everyday life. Some psychologists do basic research, developing theories and testing them through carefully honed research methods involving observation, experimentation and analysis. Other psychologists apply the discipline’s scientific knowledge to help people, organizations and communities function better (American Psychological Association, 2010).
The Department of Psychology at California State University, Fresno consists of a vibrant group of faculty members; excellent teachers, researchers, and practitioners of Psychology. Fresno State Psychologists are investigating brainwaves with EEG machines, anger, interpersonal relationships, the effects of physical cues on interpreting audition, developmental processes, and a myriad of other areas of investigation. The Department of Psychology offers diversified undergraduate and graduate education that spans the breadth of modern Psychology ranging from the inner workings of the biological substrates of behavior, the behavior of the individuals, to the social psychology of group behavior.
The Department of Psychology's broad graduate and undergraduate curriculum prepares students for an array of career paths in the field of Psychology and related disciplines. Motivated students have a wealth of independent research opportunities with faculty members in the department. Exceptionally well-qualified students can participate in our senior honors program. These students design, conduct, and present an original research project as a senior thesis and regularly present their work at regional and national professional conferences.
What You Can Earn
- Psychologist $85,253 (in our region)
- Counseling Psychologist $61,813 (in our region)
- Organizational Psychologist $120,227 (in our region)
Source: HR reported data from salary.com as of May 2012
- Clinical Psychologist (Doctorate) $65,000 to $104,000 (in our region)
- University Professor $45,000 to $239,000 (national range)
- Masters Social Work $46,000 to $66,000 (in our region)
- Licensed Professional Counselor $27,000 to $45,000 (in our region)
Source: National Assoc. School Psychologists, 2007
Interesting Classes You Might Take
- Introduction to Psychology
- Abnormal Psychology
- Social Psychology
- Developmental Psychology
- Sensation and Perception
- Cognitive Psychology
- Learning and Memory
What You Can Learn
- The Scientific Basis of the field of Psychology.
- The appropriate research methods and statistics required to conduct psychological research.
- The relationships between biology and behavior.
- How humans and other animals learn to behave in their environment.
- How a person's behavior develop and change over their lifespan.
- How the manner in which a person thinks about the world effects their behavior.
- The effects that culture have on a person's behavior.
About the College
The College of Science and Mathematics provides professional training at the undergraduate and graduate levels to serve as a foundation for a career in science or mathematics, to provide preprofessional training in preparation for careers in medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, veterinary medicine and other professions or for continued study at the graduate level.
College Contact Info
The office of the Dean is located in
Science II, Room 301.
Telephone: (559) 278-3936
Department Contact Information
Department of Psychology
2576 E. San Ramon ST11
Fresno, CA 93740
Science II Room 312