DISCOVERe Tablet Program
Call for Participation in the 2018-19 Academic Year Now Open!
This call is open to all faculty who are interested in redesigning their courses with the use of tablets in a student-centered environment.
This program will require 10 hours of participation in a faculty learning community (FLC) during the Spring 2018 semester as well as participation in a week long summer 2018 institute (June 4-8 or June 11-15). Faculty who are selected will receive:
- an Apple iPad Pro 9.7” (Apple IOS) or Surface Pro 4 (Microsoft Windows) tablet in late Fall 2017 semester, (see a comparison of devices here)
- $500 in professional development funds for successfully completing the spring FLC commitment for use in the 2018-2019 academic year
- $2,000 taxable stipend for successful completion of DISCOVERe Summer Institute in June 2018.
Funding is limited and preference will be given to tenured, tenure-track, lecturers, and faculty teaching high-demand courses.
Interested faculty members can apply now. Deadline is Friday, September 22.
The following requirements must be fulfilled to participate in and complete the program:
- Faculty will identify course(s) they will convert to DISCOVERe. Course(s) must be taught in Fall 2018 or Spring 2019. If a specific room is needed to teach the course, it must be specified in the proposal with a justification.
- Modified courses will include Affordable Learning Solutions and/or Open Educational Resources for course materials.
- The Department Chair and Dean must support your application.
- Faculty and Department Chairs must agree to offer the tablet course a minimum of two separate semesters over a two-year period.
- Deadline to apply is Friday, September 22 and final selections will be made by October 6. 2017.
The DISCOVERe Program will strive to positively impact student success through achieving the following goals this year:
- Support course redesign to emphasize student engagement and course learning outcomes
- Reduce the cost of education for Fresno State students
- Include opportunities for innovation and engagement to reflect a student centered approach within the classroom
- Increase equity and access by supporting anytime, anywhere learning
- Prepare Fresno State students for careers by increasing technological proficiency
Faculty participating in DISCOVERe will engage and inspire students and each other. They will learn best practices for teaching with tablets and other techniques to increase collaboration and student engagement. Please consider becoming a part of the exciting DISCOVERe Program.
Faculty testimonials can be viewed below.
View a blog by Dr. Joe Ross.
For questions, please contact the Center for Faculty Excellence at 278-6892.
Faculty Training & Support
The Center for Faculty Excellence is the primary facilitator of faculty support and training for Fresno State’s DISCOVERe Program. Our goal is to help faculty realize their vision for their redesigned course using tablets. The Center works closely with the DISCOVERe Hub, the Kennel Bookstore, and the Technology Services Help Center to provide faculty with training and on-going support.
As part of this support, faculty participate in a semester long Faculty Learning Community as well as an intensive week-long summer institute.
Visit the DISCOVERe Hub website (http://www.fresnostate.edu/president/discovere/hub/index.html) where you will find suggested apps, installation instructions, as well as a request form to have a 'Guide on the Go' come to your class and provide tech support.
Faculty support is located in the Center for Faculty Excellence (CFE) on the second floor of the Henry Madden Library. The Resource Center is available on a drop-in basis or you can schedule an appointment with an Instructional Designer.