Center for Faculty Excellence
The Center for Faculty Excellence team is providing remote support and training during this time.
CANVAS AND ZOOM SUPPORT
Join our Zoom Room through the link below to get assistance by the Academic Technology Resource Center (ATRC) Student Assistants and the Instructional Designers (IDs).
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Faculty, if you need to schedule an appointment with an Instructional Designer for a longer discussion about pedagogy or your Canvas course, please fill out this form and we will schedule an appointment with you.
OPPORTUNITIES FOR FACULTY
1. The Fall 2020 Technology, INCLUSION, and Pedagogy Conference has been scheduled for Monday, August 17, 12:15 - 2:15 p.m.
2. THROUGH THE CSU
Navigating Uncertainty Together: A Virtual Conversation Series. A discussion pertaining to what we learned from the virtual experience last term, the actions we will take to advance racial equity within and outside of the classroom, and how we can best support our students when they return to our virtual classrooms.” Conversations will address teaching and learning online (July 22), supporting student needs (August 5), and promoting student engagement in virtual campus spaces (August 19). Each conversation will take place from 12:30 to 2:00 p.m. PDT, and is open to any CSU student, faculty, staff, or administrator. Registration is free.
The second event is the First Annual CSU Student Success Network Conference: 'Building a Student-Ready Campus: Shared Opportunities for Equity and Transformation' will focus on practices and programs for building an equitable student-ready campus and will include faculty and practitioners from across the CSU system and the Chancellor’s Office. Registration opens July 31 and will be free.
Another event has been scheduled: Confronting Anti-black Racism on College Campuses. This event, organized by Professor Aletha Harven at CSU Stanislaus, will take place over two days on August 12 and 13. Some of the speakers have been included in the ongoing Black Minds Matter series (see below). Register for both days and come and go on zoom as needed around your schedule. Registration link here, since it is not linked from the flyer: https://csustan.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_hqDo_8pESk2ihMPk6RaCdg
3. INCLUSION, DIVERSITY, AND EQUITY RESOURCES
- BLACK MINDS MATTER Series Read more about it and register here: https://coralearning.org/product/black-minds-matter/
- Session 1 Recording - Prof. Tyrone Howard and Shante Needham (sister of Sandra Bland)
- Session 2 Recording - Dr. Gloria Ladson-Billings, Dr. Ivory Toldson, and Gwen Carr (the mother of Eric Garner)
- Session 3 Recording - Guests included Dr. William Smith, Dr. Eboni Zamani-Gallaher, Dr. Frank Harris III & Michael Brown Sr. (the father of Michael Brown Jr.)
- Far-Reaching Consequences - The Supreme Court Decision
- Responding to Microaggressions in Online Learning Environments During a Pandemic
- Inclusive Teaching Practices Toolkit from ACUE
By implementing inclusive teaching practices, faculty create learning environments where all students feel they belong and have the opportunity to achieve at high levels.
4. OLC Ideate Labs for Online STEM: Innovating STEM Education 2020
The Online Learning Consortium and MERLOT would like to invite you to the OLC Ideate Labs for Online STEM: Innovating STEM Education 2020 Expo on August 19-21, 2020. The free virtual expo will showcase a wide range of virtual and other technology-enabled labs offered by commercial providers, as well as open educational resource providers, and provide guidance on how best to deploy the different types of virtual labs to achieve successful learning outcomes.
5. LOOKING FOR SOMETHING TO READ? Thanks to Librarian Matt Doyle for the list
- Teaching in the Digital Age - Second Edition
- Creating Online Learning Experiences
- Learning to Learn Online
- Education for a Digital World: Advice, Guidelines and Effective Practice from Around Globe
- Foundational Practices of Online Writing Instruction
- The Changing Story: digital stories that participate in transforming teaching & learning
- Motivating and Retaining Online Students: Research-Based Strategies That Work (library login required)
- Creating a Sense of Presence in Online Teaching: How to ‘Be There’ for Distance Learners (library login required)
- Managing Online Instructor Workload: Strategies for Finding Balance and Success (library login required)
RESOURCES & ADDITIONAL HELP
STUDENTS! Need an iPad or a hotspot for Fall 2020?
CANVAS WORK ORDERS AND ADDITIONAL HELP
For Canvas work orders, fill out the Academic Technology Resource Center work order form or email email@example.com.
Do you have a student that has taken an incomplete this semester? Please fill out this form for their continued access to your Canvas course.
Canvas has many guides and videos to help you:
- Canvas Instructor Video Guides
- Canvas Instructor Guide
- Canvas Training Services Portal for even more training. Click on 'Training Services Portal' through the Canvas Help button for additional Canvas training.
Faculty Videos - By Faculty for Faculty (Fresno State Access only). These brief videos provide our faculty access to tutorials on topics that range from technology tools, teaching methodology, and assessment within the context of virtual teaching.
- Zoom Guide through CFE
- Zoom Videos
- Download and install the Zoom plugin here if you'd prefer to do it ahead of joining Zoom for the first time: https://zoom.us/download
RESPONDUS LOCKDOWN BROWSER AND MONITOR WEBINARS
Respondus is offering DAILY training webinars for Respondus Monitor and LockDown Browser. Webinars are being scheduled at least 7 days in advance and will be available at different times of the day. Instructors and staff can register for the webinars at: http://respondus.com/webinars.
The Center for Faculty Excellence provides faculty professional development, technology training, support and development of academic uses of technology.